Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Our Tomatoe Patch

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Our Tomatoe Patch

Postby Big Smile » Aug 27, 2012 11:21 am

DH watered this patch faithfully during the hot dry weather. This is the result,,,, big healthy plants loaded with tomatoes.
Attachments
Tomatoe patch.JPG
Tomatoe patch
Picked this morning.JPG
We have been enjoying tomatoes for a while , picked these this morning and will be making Salsa today. The yellow are a Heirloom variety and very good for eating! Toasted tomatoe sandwich Yum,Yum!!
Big Smile

Re: Our Tomatoe Patch

Postby Jersm » Aug 27, 2012 11:51 am

looks like some good eating right there. :D

I wish i would have planted mines earlier and in a different spot. from planting in the same location for 4-5 years we ended up contracting a leaf mold/disease so im forced to water form the base of the plants if i dont want to lose all the plants foliage. :cry:
Jersm

Postby B_BQ » Aug 27, 2012 1:01 pm

Nice haul Clara. We're coming to the end of the tomatoes in our garden. They came really early this year and we've been eating toms now for several weeks.

Yesterday I actually went and bought a large load of generic Romas from our favourite farm stand, and prepared and froze them. I freeze them into individual, (about 6 toms per bag with a little basil pesto thrown in for good measure), portions so that I can just grab a bag and make a quick sauce in the dead of winter.

Jersm: It's not wise to plant the same crop in the same area year after year. Next year you should plant your tomatoes in a different area in different soil. Every couple of years alternate the location to reduce the chance of disease. Also, don't plant potatoes in the soil where you've grown tomatoes and vice versa - again to reduce disease.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby hotsummerone » Aug 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Your density is too large.
hotsummerone

Postby Eeyore » Aug 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Nice patch there Clara!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Big Smile » Aug 28, 2012 8:43 am

Yesterday I actually went and bought a large load of generic Romas from our favourite farm stand, and prepared and froze them. I freeze them into individual, (about 6 toms per bag with a little basil pesto thrown in for good measure), portions so that I can just grab a bag and make a quick sauce in the dead of winter.

[size=150] Brenda I can my tomatoes for sauce etc. Its handy to open a jar whenever I need some . I also think canned tomatoes have a better flavour. I do freeze some at the end of the season when there are only a few left.

Lyn , thanks for you comment.
Big Smile

Postby B_BQ » Aug 28, 2012 9:16 am

Clara:

I do also make tomato sauce and freeze or can, but I like to freeze some tomatoes pretty plain as then I can make different-tasting sauces. I also always have a few tins of San Marzano tomatoes in the pantry.

No-one can say I'm not prepared to whip up a batch of tomato sauce - whether it be Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Indian, or Louisiana!!! laf!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening