Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Peppers

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Peppers

Postby B_BQ » Sep 17, 2012 7:18 pm

I went out and picked all my chili peppers. They were a mixed lot. I looked on the net for recipes, but nothing stood out for my individual needs, so I took a basic recipe and went from there.
I had a mixture of jalapenos, thai, cayenne. I also thought it would be good to use a couple of the dried habaneros I've had for a while.
I had the stove fan on, the windows open, and the HVAC on. We were still coughing and spluttering with the essential oils.
It turned out really well. Now the small quantity of sauce is in the fridge maturing for a couple of weeks.
It is a really simple thing to do - no voodoo, no magic; easy peasy.
Chillies, garlic, onion, salt, a little sugar, a tsp of oil, water, vinegar.
All done in 20+ minutes.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Sep 17, 2012 7:36 pm

I won't bother trying a hot sauce this year, though I likely have enough that I should pull off the plants this week. I'll look into it more for next year.

A friend of mine over in BC markets and sells hot sauce (http://www.wildfiresauce.com/?page_id=204). I may ask if he'll give me his "ballpark" recipe cuz I haven't a clue how to make that kind of stuff.

I don't even know what peppers are used, preferred, or needed for the various kinds of hot sauces. So I'll also have to look at that, if I can find anything. Something tells me I tried looking into this before and found pretty much nothing.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Smitty » Sep 18, 2012 9:46 am

I get my pepper seeds from Pepper Joes ..if you like hot Marc try the Jamaicans next year...very prolific for me this year despite the crappy summer..if you want the jabaneros types to reach maturity..you'll have to start them early indoors.
Pepper joes also has some recipes on their site that you may like.

if not..I have a few that I would share.
to make Frank's redhot type is very easy...6 cups pepper, 2 cups vinegar..cook this until peppers are soft..put thru the blender or food processor and place in hot, sterile jars...from garden to jar in just over an hour.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Dumbo » Sep 18, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks!
Yup I saw a few recipes for the Franks one last night.

So Pepper Joes it is! I'm like a kid in a candy store looking at the ones I'm going to get there. Yeah I have my eye on the Jamaican ones (Scotch Bonnets). Last time I was in Jamaica that's all I cared about doing. Getting all the Jamaican hot sauces and those jerk spices/pastes that I use for the BBQ. Fantastic stuff. Club Hedonism was the second thing (priorities you know). ;)

I don't consider "Franks red hot sauce" to be a hot sauce. Way too mild. But the recipe should be good to use for any peppers I have left over. Thanks :)

Will try it tomorrow and let you know if it turns out to be a complete failure (again). :)
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Smitty » Sep 20, 2012 7:26 am

LOL!!! you sound like hubby..he says Frank's adds flavour but never heat...he is more into my Ghost pepper sauce and the Jamaican.

yes use up your mixed left over peppers in this recipe..hubby says it is fabulous!!!
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty

Postby Dumbo » Sep 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Dumbo wrote:A friend of mine over in BC markets and sells hot sauce (http://www.wildfiresauce.com/?page_id=204). I may ask if he'll give me his "ballpark" recipe cuz I haven't a clue how to make that kind of stuff.

So I got his recipe. Not sure if I can share it. Forgot to ask. If anyone is at all interested just let me know and I'll ask him and his wife it's it's ok to give out.

But, i'll share this:
-The type of salt is important to the taste buds.
-pH (it's regulated by Health Canada and food inspectors, unlike Alberta Beef that kills people) is a target of 4 (lower than for regular canning stuff since you don't do the post heat treatment after canning hot-sauce).

I grow lots of peppers, in the kilograms range. So the ratio required per safety regulations (or recipe, ie. some add tomatoes) will be 3kg of peppers to 1.5-litres of vinegar.

This will produce a long shelf-life safe product per Canadian regulations at a pH of 4.

I'm not sure how that ratio works out with Smitty's recipe. I didn't look into it yet.

If anyone has hot sauce questions, feel free and I'll ask if he or his wife wants to join to give some of their tips.

Now some off-topic stuff about this guy: Read at your own risk since some people don't like links, and this is directed at people who don't like links:

BTW, This guy and his wife, Jon Newton, you may have heard of his name before. He was front page of Every Canadian newspaper in Canada due to a very big freedom of expression court case that he won, which was then appealed and went to supreme court and won again.

Jon is one of the people in Canada who gets sued for all sorts of things. His last victory was how a link is not the same as publication (as if you wrote it). He ended up in court for a few years on this one and the supreme court handed down a win that now protects people (all of us) who post links. Very major consequences from that win, and all of them good.

For those of you interested in how an ex-green party member tried to sue the internet for a link he didn't like, and the whole battle that went on that gained you more rights and freedom of expression, you can start here:
Supreme Court of Canada Stands Up for the Internet: No Liability for Linking
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/6069/125/

Nutshell:
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/07/04/22/ ... es-the-net

BC's ex-green party, Wayne Crookes, dropped may cases against those who had money and went after the ones with no money to defend themselves. Namely Jon Newton and one other.

The CCLA & the BC Civil Liberties Association stepped in and a big media lawyer jumped to his defense pro-Bono, since a negative ruling would also hold all of Canadian media sites open to be sued.

So, I buy this guys hot sauce once a year as a thanks.

He stroked out and had a heart attack after the stress of that case. Almost stopped writing, but started it up again recently seeing what else he can do to further free speech.

He has another court case coming up again. The ex-owner of Kazza didn't like what a poster on his forum said. :roll:

So when I see links get moderated, now you know why I get pissy. :p

People have gone through hell for us to be able to post a simple link w/o getting sued for nothing or some made-up anal absurdity... :p

/end off-topic story of this hot sauce maker ;)
Dumbo

Postby Smitty » Sep 28, 2012 5:18 am

you do the math on that one Marc..but I can tell you that so far nobody here or any friends have gotten sick from my salsas or hot sauces and we just finished up some from 2010 season.
I have a recipe that uses tomatoes too ...8 cups toms, 6 cups peppers,1 cup vinegar...from bernardins canning recipes...I never use salt in my sauces or canning...it isn't good for you or your heart ...

btw...hope you are ok
Smitty

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening