Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Last picking of tomatoes from the greenhouse

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Last picking of tomatoes from the greenhouse

Postby Heidi S » Oct 11, 2012 5:40 pm

I picked another dozen ripe and same for unripe tomatoes out of the greenhouse today. It is just getting too cold to run the heater anymore. Shutting it down and will be using it for storage for the delicate pots and planters until spring.

I have a pot of fresh tomato soup burbling on the stove and plans to make a batch of cheese scones to enjoy with it. Yum!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: Last picking of tomatoes from the greenhouse

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 15, 2012 12:07 am

Aren't homegrown tomatoes just the best!!?? I only have a small area so I cut back and planted 2 beefsteak, 1 roma & 1 cherry tomato plant. (outside - sorry Heidi, I remember when I lived in Q I couldn't get ripe red tomatoes unless planted in a greenhouse). We just picked the last of them - all red. Man they are so great! I think I may do 2 cherry and no roma next year. I only do tomatoes & zucchini but next year I'm going to sneak in some garlic and some cucumbers.
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby davefrombc » Oct 15, 2012 12:42 pm

RubyTuesday , plant your garlic now for a crop next year .. They are like daffodil and tulip bulbs, plant in fall for growth the following year. They will be fine in ground with a light mulch over them to protect from the worst frosts until snow cover comes .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Great minds think alike Dave - I planted the garlic this morning. I have never grown garlic but love eating it! I laughed when you said to light mulch them so they are protected from the worst frosts til snow cover. . . . . . we don't really get much snow here. It might snow but a few days later, it's gone! We used to live in the Cariboo and now there we got SNOW COVER !!! (several feet of the white fluffy stuff) - that's why we chose to move South! I love that I can grow so much more here - however there are more plant eating bugs here too!! LOL
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby Heidi S » Oct 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Garlic - I am finally getting my supply to plant from my secret source. A local gardening guru, Barb Rayment (wonderful person) grows garlic she gets from a guy in Dunster (tiny hamlet on Hwy 16 towards McBride) who grows a heritage hardneck variety he got from local oldtimers many years ago. Apparently, it is a lovely, large Russian type that grows just wonderfully here in the north.

Barb, on my begging, has managed secure about 20 more pounds of it for me, and a couple of friends who went out to help Barb with her garden last week.

Barb used to run a lovely independent perennial nursery at her home, until she encountered some significant health problems, and had to shut it all down. She continues to struggle to maintain the property and a few of us volunteered to give her a hand one day to help her put as much of it to bed as we could get to as a thank you for all the amazing information and help she has given us over the years.

It froze hard here last night, but the ground is still workable for a few more weeks, so I can still get the patch planted. I have heard lots about this garlic, but never tried it, because those who have it rarely share, so I consider myself very lucky to be getting some!

By the way, Barbara is a published gardening author, recently releasing a great new book about gardening in the north (Zone 3):

The Northern Gardener: Perennials That Survive and Thrive
978-1-55017-578-3 · 1-55017-578-5 · May 2012 · $26.95, which I read cover to cover when I finally got my hands on a copy recently. Nice to have a book that focuses on really cold tolerant plants!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening