Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Watering Methods.

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Watering Methods.

Postby Durgan » Oct 30, 2012 9:05 am

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XRXAU 21 June 2012 Watering Methods.
I seldom water except for very young plants, and extreme dry conditions. I don’t have a sprinkler on the property, and consider them inefficient and not very effective, except for watering grass. I never water grass. To inhibit moisture loss from hot Sun evaporation all areas of the garden are mulched with wood chips.

Usually I utilize my four barrels of rain water. The wheelbarrow is used to transport the rainwater to the garden area, utilizing a milk cartoon carrier(or egg carton carrier)as a baffle to prevent spillage due to wave action when moving the wheelbarrow.

In extreme dry conditions it is necessary to use tap water.The tap water is delivered to the plant root system using a water wand cut off and pushed into the requires area. I call it the Magic Water Wand. In the main garden it is quick to walk along a row and push the wand into the ground every few feet and get the water to roots, where it is required.The foliage is not wetted, and there is little wastage of water.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Re: Watering Methods.

Postby robertsmith » May 16, 2013 5:56 am

Watering your garden can't be made into a routine or even figured out using a formula. Instead, you need to keep your soil type, the weather and the types of plants you're growing in mind and monitor the garden to determine when to water.
robertsmith

Re: Watering Methods.

Postby pol_bishop25 » May 21, 2013 6:12 pm

For some parts of your garden you can always use automatic watering system. It eases the your work a lot by saves you some time. I mainly use these on large areas of mu garden with weeds.
A proud member of Gardeners London professional team.
pol_bishop25

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening