Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Raspberry leaves not doing well

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Raspberry leaves not doing well

Postby dadelogin » Jun 02, 2013 4:43 pm

I am new to raspberry cultivation. We moved into our home in vancouver in the winter and have been taking care of a patch of raspberry (variety unknown). In the fall I pruned all of the stocks down to the ground and fertilized twice.

photo 2.JPG

In the past three weeks the leaves have come under attack. I first noticed that the leaves were getting holes in them

photo 1 (1).JPG

photo 2 (1).JPG

And recently noticed that some of the leaves are curling

photo 3.JPG

When examining the back of the leaves I noticed a few small yellowish green crawling larvea (looks like sawfly based on a web search). I squished the three I have found and not seen any since.

I have also noticed white spittle on the back of the some of the leaves and on some of thestalks. Inside the spittle I have seen small yellow/green bugs inside (looks like spittl bugs). I have squished all of the ones I have found.

Yesterday I sprayed a hard jet of water on the leaves. This morning I can't find any of the bugs.

I'm trying to garden organically but would consider a chemical insecticide if the alternative was loosing the crop.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
dadelogin

Re: Raspberry leaves not doing well

Postby Countryboy » Jun 02, 2013 8:52 pm

I don't know what the problem is with your leaves, or what type of critters u might be finding on them.

I can say tho, that if the leaves are being predated by 'chewing' insects, or crawling insects, a dash of Diatomaceous Earth will probably stop them. And the plus to DE is that it's easily available... and completely organic. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Re: Raspberry leaves not doing well

Postby Maridanie » Jun 05, 2013 3:15 pm

You can try neem oil. This is a great product and green! It is a vegetable oil obtained from the seeds of the neem tree. And insect pests do not like at all!

Simply spray the product diluted with water on the leaves and stem.
And spray again after a rain.
In my garden it does wonders! :)
Maridanie

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening