Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Ants in my Container garden box

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Ants in my Container garden box

Postby Jeanette's Garden » Jun 21, 2013 11:40 pm

Hello friends

When I went outside to tend to my newly planted garden box (4 x 8) tonight, I noticed that there several tiny ants scurrying busily back and forth through it.

Do ants actually eat veggies? If so is there a safe method I can use to kill them off. I do not want to use something that may risk the safety of my plants for eating.

Have any of you actually found that some of the natural ant killers such as "cornmeal" or borax and sugar kill them off or must I resort to some form of poisonous chemical ?

Help!!
Jeanette
Jeanette's Garden

Re: Ants in my Container garden box

Postby Countryboy » Jun 22, 2013 7:36 am

To make u feel a bit better, Ants don't eat veggies, nor do they damage the roots. In fact, there's a theory here in this forum that Ants may actually do roots some good by churning up the soil around them.

Ants are all over the place, and not necessarily nesting in your garden bed. But if u do see a nest in your garden soil there's a simple way of getting them to move it. Simply flood them out with ordinary water from your hose. Leave it on a trickle, over the nest, for 12 to 24 hours to saturate the soil with water.

They will not let the nest drown, but simply move it to a new location.

Best of luck! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Northpine » Jun 22, 2013 12:07 pm

I am currently trying to discourage the ants that have infested a couple of large planters in my front yard. I disagree that they don't do harm to the plants. The fact that they churn up the soil so much causes the plants' roots to be too loose and not in contact with the soil. I may be describing that poorly, but I've had it happen before enough to know it will kill the plants in the container. All I've done so far is water and stick a fork into the soil to disturb the ants. I hope they will decide this is not a safe place and move on. These nests seem to have sprung up almost overnight. Hopefully they are not established and will leave.
I would not be concerned if I only saw a few ants. What I have is a nest.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Mervyn » Jul 05, 2013 8:36 pm

I have a Tarragon plant in a container in my backyard, must be about 10 years old, ants have had a nest under and in the plant for 8 of those 10 years, and they haven't done any damage to the plant at all.

The worst thing is I always feel guilty when I lift the pot to mow the lawn and I seem them scrambling around frantically :)
Mervyn

Postby Jersm » Jul 06, 2013 8:56 pm

i suppose i can see how ants can be bad in smaller containers since its limited space in the first place.
VS

planting in the ground I would have to agree that it would help roots grow and well a plant is only as big as its roots system.
Jersm

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening