Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Help to identify Strawberry Pest

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Help to identify Strawberry Pest

Postby cmp_solutions » Jul 02, 2013 8:36 am

Hi,

I have a problem with pests eating my strawberry and I am hoping someone here can help me identify the and prevent them from eating my strawberries. In some cases it looks like little worm holes, in others the berries look nibbled. I have placed a plastic mesh fence around the garden to stop animals but I am guessing it is slugs or birds? Please have a look at the pictures and let me know what they might be. Thanks in advance for your attention and suggestions.
Attachments
20130628_170728s.jpg
20130628_170633s.jpg
20130628_170555s.jpg
20130628_170540s.jpg
cmp_solutions

Re: Help to identify Strawberry Pest

Postby Jersm » Jul 02, 2013 9:40 am

looks like slugs and snails to me.

Ive gotten similar nibbles and little cavities my radishes. a few times ive gone out and check them out and ive literaly found littel shelled snails inside the cavity eating.

also big snails can take quite the chunk out too.

I would recommend copper strips on the soil around the plants. when the slug touches copper as long as its not grounded it will get shocked.

(common misstake people will wrap copper tape around the wooden raised bed.. however wood will insulate the slug and prevent shocking, he wil lgo right over it and eat away.)

the best technique for copper barriers is literaly put up a little wall sticking out of the soil or wrap wire in a thick little bush around the base of the plants.

either way it will shock slugs and snails that touch the copper + ground.
Jersm

Re: Help to identify Strawberry Pest

Postby cmp_solutions » Sep 05, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks Jers for the response. Sorry I didnt respond sooner. I will look into the copper as I do have a raised bed, about 3' by 4' so I may try something else for next season.
cmp_solutions

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening