Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

zucchini dying?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

zucchini dying?

Postby toliwiak » Jul 15, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi there,
I am brand spanking new here, hoping to get some advice.
I am experienced with growing tomatoes and cucumbers, but this year is the first time I have tried something other than that.
My zucchinis look healthy... big leaves, no signs of bugs... but every one of my zucchinis starts to rot before they are ready to pick.
I am located in the Toronto area, and we've gotten A LOT of rain recently... could that be it?
I have read that rot can be expected for the first few, but every single one of mine has started to rot (about 15-20 of them so far).
Any advice?
Thank you so much!
toliwiak

Re: zucchini dying?

Postby Jersm » Jul 15, 2013 11:13 pm

if the plants dont get polinated they dont get what they need to keep growing so they just end up rotting.

ive heard of this happening to tree's and plants whre constant rain will washout and the pollen and the plant doesn't get a chance to fruit. sometimes the bugs just dont get it done in time too.

anyways you can try pollinating the plant yourself with a cotton swab so they can get rid of the flowers and turn into veggies. (or start to create seeds for the survival of the species in the plants mind)
Jersm

Postby toliwiak » Jul 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks!
After some dryness (not sure if the wet was the culprit), I was able to harvest one last night... and it looks like I'll be able to harvest two or three more tomorrow.

But there are still a number of smaller (3 inches or so) plants that just start to rot.

Out of curiosity, are zucchini plants harder to pollinate than other veggies?
toliwiak

Postby siobhancurious » Aug 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi Toliwiak. Has your zucchini plant been giving more fruit? I ask because I have been having the same problem and now the plant has powdery mildew. I posted a thread about this today. I'm in Montreal and we've also been having erratic weather; I wonder if it's just not a good year for zucchini.
siobhancurious

Postby toliwiak » Aug 01, 2013 5:32 pm

They actually have started to improve.
Since originally posting, I have harvested 10 large zucchinis.
A few still die here and there though.

I haven't done anything different, so I can't really say what has changed, except for the fact that our weather has dried out a bit.
toliwiak

Postby GreenCaro » Aug 25, 2013 7:46 pm

siobhancurious wrote:Hi Toliwiak. Has your zucchini plant been giving more fruit? I ask because I have been having the same problem and now the plant has powdery mildew. I posted a thread about this today. I'm in Montreal and we've also been having erratic weather; I wonder if it's just not a good year for zucchini.

Hi siobhancurious,

I'm from Montreal and this year all of my zucchini plants failed miserably. I'm also thinking that it's because of the weather we had this summer. Last year I had an amazing year for zucchinis. At least my other vegetables are thriving.
GreenCaro
GreenCaro

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening