Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Caterpillar infestation

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Caterpillar infestation

Postby linnea » Jul 17, 2013 3:12 pm

This year we were plagued with caterpillars. I found that a ring of axle grease kept them from climbing our trees for a munch and also kept them out of my raised bed. They just built up under the ring of grease but wouldn't cross it. Now I'm dealing with the resultant moths :(
Thinking ahead to next year, as it will likely be worse, does anyone have any ideas on how to keep them out of my level beds? Anything with an edge that can be greased, like pots, trees and raised beds, will be fine but everything else planted directly in the ground is going to suffer.
linnea

Re: Caterpillar infestation

Postby Jersm » Jul 18, 2013 9:43 am

its a sensitive case since caterpillars turn into very usefull pollinators. note colony collapse disorder for bee's.

youmust have a nest somewhere close by those white silk like nests on plants.

maybe plant some mbelliferous flowers (i.e. dill, fennel, parsley to name a few)they should attract parasitic wasps that will go after them.
Jersm

Re: Caterpillar infestation

Postby linnea » Jul 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Jersm wrote:its a sensitive case since caterpillars turn into very usefull pollinators. note colony collapse disorder for bee's.

youmust have a nest somewhere close by those white silk like nests on plants.

maybe plant some mbelliferous flowers (i.e. dill, fennel, parsley to name a few)they should attract parasitic wasps that will go after them.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if I can't grow the wasp attractors. There wasn't A nest, all the deciduous trees in about a 50 mile radius were loaded with caterpillars this year and the sides of the roads and highways were like moving rivers of caterpillars. The strangest sight was on the streetlights that arched over the highways. Caterpillars hung on long, long threads practically to the ground. Ugh.
linnea

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening