Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

zucchini, cucumber and powdery mildew

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

zucchini, cucumber and powdery mildew

Postby siobhancurious » Aug 01, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi all. I'm growing vegetables for the first time this year, in containers. I have two zucchini plants in a single large container (about 2' x 2'), and until recently they were doing well and giving me lots of fruit. However, being so high off the ground and not well supported, they've each fallen over in recent thunderstorms. They initially seemed to recover nicely, but since then, they've stopped fruiting except for some soft, stunted specimens, and have recently developed powdery mildew.

I have two questions:

-Is the powdery mildew what is causing the sparse, unpalatable fruit? Or is it the trauma of falling, or something else?

-The zucchini pot is next to a cucumber pot. The cucumber is doing really well. I know powdery mildew is host-specific, but because cucumber and zucchini are somewhat related, is it possible the mildew could spread to the cucumber? The pots are heavy and the plants are clinging to neighbouring stuff, so I'd rather not move the cucumber, but will if I have to.

Thanks for your help!
siobhancurious

Re: zucchini, cucumber and powdery mildew

Postby Jersm » Aug 05, 2013 9:10 am

siobhancurious wrote:Hi all. I'm growing vegetables for the first time this year, in containers. I have two zucchini plants in a single large container (about 2' x 2'), and until recently they were doing well and giving me lots of fruit. However, being so high off the ground and not well supported, they've each fallen over in recent thunderstorms. They initially seemed to recover nicely, but since then, they've stopped fruiting except for some soft, stunted specimens, and have recently developed powdery mildew.

I have two questions:

-Is the powdery mildew what is causing the sparse, unpalatable fruit? Or is it the trauma of falling, or something else?

-The zucchini pot is next to a cucumber pot. The cucumber is doing really well. I know powdery mildew is host-specific, but because cucumber and zucchini are somewhat related, is it possible the mildew could spread to the cucumber? The pots are heavy and the plants are clinging to neighbouring stuff, so I'd rather not move the cucumber, but will if I have to.

Thanks for your help!

i cant imagine just a simple fall being the cause of a stunted plant. Also 2'x2' may be slightly small for a large zicchini plant they might be getting closer and closer to being pot bound and that would reduce its vigor. there might be some die off from unpolinated flower buds too.

as for the powdery mildew if left uncheck the fuzzy patches produce airborne spores that rapidly attack adjacent plants; mildew will eventually coat leaves and entire plants, reducing photosynthesis, plant vigor and fruit quality.

the mildew thrives in high humidity places and it is quite common, there is a huge range of products to use to stop the spread.

like neem oil,Copper ions i, plant shield, cinnamite and more. I would also cut down on watering if not needed.
Jersm

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening