Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Best fruit and vegetable seed

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Best fruit and vegetable seed

Postby ccbirmham » Dec 31, 2013 5:49 am

I am looking for best fruit and vegetable seed for gardening.Can anyone give me the best suggestion how to start it and where can i get the best seeds.
Need the best carpet cleaning services Birmingham with professional.
ccbirmham

Re: Best fruit and vegetable seed

Postby Justanotherider » Feb 04, 2014 11:33 pm

As I understand the seed industry, (which is not to suggest I know much about it) Canadian seeds are rated either #1, or #2. The designations refer to the percentage of the seeds that germinated when tested. #2 seeds germinated a minimum of 85% of seeds started, and #1 something better than that, (sorry I don't know that percentage). There are no seeds of a lower quality sold by Canadian seed producers as far as I know. Based on that thinking, I buy the cheapest # 1 seeds I can find, and I'm pleased with the results I get.

Beyond that, I experiment with crops we like to eat, grow the crops that do well in my soil, and trade for crops I'm unable to grow well.

As for fruit trees, I suggest you talk to local growers regarding what varieties do well in your area (try the farmers market) and purchase trees from a local garden centre that guarantees their trees for a year.

Good luck, have fun, and don't be shocked to discover that new gardens grow more weeds than established plots.
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening