Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

beehive pros and cons?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

beehive pros and cons?

Postby milkwoman » Feb 28, 2014 9:11 pm

I have been approached by a bee farmer wanting to use my land for his hives. Now, besides the obvious benefit of pollinating my garden, I was wondering if anybody else out there rents their land to beekeepers and what other pros and cons there might be? I have hard that having bees wil reduce the fly population around my house. Thoughts anyone?
milkwoman

Re: beehive pros and cons?

Postby Justanotherider » Feb 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Can't think of any cons, and sure would be glad to have hives on my land - there's got to be some free honey available in the deal! :-)
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Postby davefrombc » Feb 28, 2014 10:21 pm

I know of no cons.. Even if you or a family member is allergic to a sting. The chance of being stung by a bee from a hive or even many hives on your property is far less than that of being stung by a wasp or hornet.
I don't believe having bees around will reduce the fly population. Bees and flies do not interact, but I can't see any negative reason to having hives . If the bee farmer wishes to rent a hive site, I say go for it .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby milkwoman » Mar 01, 2014 9:26 am

Yes there will definitely be free honey!! I couldn't really think ofany negatives either...but was wondering if it was a 'too good to be true' deal. And after just planting many types of fruit trees and vines last year.....
milkwoman

Postby OGrubber » Mar 26, 2014 10:31 am

There are no real cons, so to speak. But, I would make sure the hives were placed in an area that doesn't see too much traffic. They can get agitated if it's an area that sees a lawnmower or other loud machinery too often, and when the temps get really high, they can get a bit cranky. laf
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby ProudRascal » Mar 31, 2014 4:32 pm

Here's a con that I think a lot of people are missing:
aside from honey one thing a bee colony will produce is other bee colonies
if some migrant bees decide to take up roost under your deck or god forbid in your attic it could result in a hefty pest control bill.

But I would still welcome it. It's worth the risk to bring some pollinators to around and to support the threatened honey bee population.
ProudRascal

Postby davegrass » Aug 20, 2014 2:41 am

I love the idea of having Bees, though space is an issue at the moment.
More people should do it to help the declining bee population. Well done to all.
davegrass

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening