Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Planted watermelon seeds too soon... Worth saving?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Planted watermelon seeds too soon... Worth saving?

Postby rookiegardener613 » Mar 26, 2014 9:46 am

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to gardening and have started some of my plants from seeds this year. I read some misinformation about when to plant watermelon and planted them far too early (clearly I was a bit too eager). They are now about 4-6 inches tall and developing their first set of true leaves. I could transplant them into a large container (I have been planning on growing it in a large container with a trellis outside anyway), but I'm worried about them starting to climb before I get them outside or them becoming too leggy for lack of sun. Should I just scrap these guys and start new seedlings? Is there a way I can salvage the current seedlings?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
rookiegardener613

Re: Planted watermelon seeds too soon... Worth saving?

Postby OGrubber » Mar 26, 2014 10:20 am

Generally speaking, watermelon is started roughly 3 to 4 weeks before your last average frost date, so yes, way too early since here [S. Ontario] we are still a good 8 weeks away - and the weather isn't looking too promising by any stretch.
Having said that, if you pot up and give them a temporary trellis when the time comes, AND can give them enough light you should be able to get them to the point when they get to live in the great outdoors. Keeping in mind as well, the older they are, the more sensitive they'll be to the hardening off process.
I'd probably start some more at the 3 week "prior to" point, just in case. laf
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening