Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Straw mulch tilled in

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Straw mulch tilled in

Postby morrex » Jul 24, 2014 4:19 pm

looking for advice on straw mulching ... i do it every year but lately I've been reading about straw using up all the nitrogen as it decomposes ( i till it in every spring, instead of removing it. M y tomatoes are not looking good this year or last. Neither are the weeds. Cant be good if the weeds dont grow either...any thoughts, advice?
morrex

Re: Straw mulch tilled in

Postby Countryboy » Jul 29, 2014 10:20 am

Ya... it will use up nitrogen initially... 'til it decomposes. Then it will release it back to the soil. But I used to till in about 3' of dry leaves every year with no problem. I can't imagine a bit of straw would affect your tomatoes.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby morrex » Jul 29, 2014 5:27 pm

good to know... I also till in at least 6 in of old horse manure. I am thinking its somethin else now. Maybe its just cold. I am Also thinking of adding blood meal when we till
morrex

Postby artknapp » Jul 30, 2014 10:19 am

Yes, that will be good. It will be better to test the soil once to check which of the manure is work well for tomatoes.
artknapp

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening