Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Brand new veggie garden... Dirt and planning advice?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Brand new veggie garden... Dirt and planning advice?

Postby Christine.emmorey » Aug 09, 2014 7:17 am

I am taking down a shed and plan on digging up the space and putting in a vegetable garden. I have done container peppers, tomatoes and herbs before but no actual gardens apart from flowers and perrenials. The space is 4x8.5ft and I am hoping to get the shed down in the fall so that in the spring I can just get started. What would you suggest for dirt? Should I be doing anything in the fall to prep? Or should I do everything in the spring?
I am from The Durham Region in Ontario
Thanks in advance!!
Christine.emmorey

Re: Brand new veggie garden... Dirt and planning advice?

Postby Christine.emmorey » Aug 09, 2014 7:30 am

For your reference this is what I have planned so far... do you see any big scary problems with the layout? I put a few marigolds because I read that they repel harmful insects

http://imgur.com/8hYokno
Christine.emmorey

Postby Countryboy » Aug 09, 2014 6:30 pm

If the old shed has a wood floor in it, there's a good chance that it may have been built over topsoil. That would be a good thing, a simple roto-tilling would start to make a good garden out of it.

If it was some kind of garage with a gravel floor, I would plan on trucking in all the soil for the new garden. If it comes to that, your timing's not too bad either. 'Cos you want to wait 'til the ground is frozen for truck traffic.

It really all depends on what's under the shed now...
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Christine.emmorey » Aug 10, 2014 6:59 am

Thank you! The shed has a wood floor so I am hopeful. With compost and fertilizer is there anything you would suggest mixing in? Should I do that in the spring?
Christine.emmorey

Postby Countryboy » Aug 13, 2014 3:08 pm

I've see some old sheds come down with nothing but a foot of old, undisturbed topsoil underneath. That would be ideal, and would not really any amendment.

You can always add good compost, even into the best of soil. I never used to add fertilizer to the soil itself... only organics (leaves, leaves, leaves ;) ), or manure from a good source I have here.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening