Feedback - Gardening Forums

Forums Update - Feb. 05, 2009

We want to hear from you. Share your feedback and tell us what’s on your mind.

Forums Update - Feb. 05, 2009

Postby williamtully » Feb 05, 2009 5:27 pm

... and we're back.

We had a small outage this afternoon with the forums, however, everything is back and functioning again. We had some server issues two weeks ago, and today was the day we move back to our good server having been on a temporary one for the last two weeks. The transition was supposed to be quick and painless, however, there were some unexpected challenges with the forums on all 4 H&G sites and it took longer to get them back up than expected.

So what's the good news, right? Well, the good news is that since christmas our key developer has been re-coding the H&G sites, cleaning things up, and fixing quite a few issues. We were quickly approaching the time where we update the sites with all these changes, however, we had some unexpected server issues (unrelated). As I mentioned the server issues are now solved and we're back on track for updating the sites. An incredible amount of work has been taking place behind the scenes in terms of coding, testing, re-coding, re-testing, etc.. The challenging part of it all was having the sever issues because we were unable to move forward until it was solved.

Now that our servers have re-stabilized, we will be looking to deploy the site improvements in the very near future.

But what are the improvements, right? Well, for one we should see an end to the resetting of accounts on the forums caused when people attempt to change their avatar... This was ultimately the trigger for the massive code overhaul, and we should see and end to this issue. Posts have not been lost and we have been working on figuring out which account goes with which post this week. Immediately after the update and once we verify that accounts are no longer being reset, this will be a top priority.

The login/authentication system has been completely re-written which means we should see fewer login issues across the board.

We have also made some changes to the forums templates and when we have our update you will see a massive improvement - trust me!

So when's the update, right? All I can say is: soon. Now that the server issues have been resolved and the sites have stabilized again, we will be re-looking at the whole project again on Monday (if not tomorrow) and setting a date. It could be early next week when we upgrade the sites.... but I'm not officially saying that.. ;) (we want it probably more that you do! :shock: )

As always your patience is appreciated, and when I know more I will keep you updated.

All the best,

William Tully
Webmaster - WebOps Toronto
Home & Garden Group

P.S. yes, I see the errors at the top of the screen too.. hrm....
William Tully
Transcontinental Media Inc., Toronto, Ontario
---
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
---
williamtully

Re: Forums Update - Feb. 05, 2009

Postby Laura » Feb 06, 2009 7:35 am

Thanks so much for the update William . . . you and your team keep up the good work and thanks to all for the forums you provide.I really enjoy my time here even if we do hit a few bumps along the way.

Laura

Postby OGrubber » Feb 06, 2009 9:00 am

Thanks for the up-date William. It's nice to be kept in the loop.
Hoping the change next week [or whenever!] gives me the key to front door log-ins. I'm getting a complex from using the back door. laf!
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby kelly_m » Feb 06, 2009 10:17 am

Aw Inge...It just means you're part of the family if you get to use the back door!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby OGrubber » Feb 06, 2009 10:37 am

Ok, well that makes me feel better, Kelly.
OGrubber

Postby joan w » Feb 06, 2009 10:56 am

Thanks for the update William - it looks very hopeful.

Keep up the good work guys.

I am a.gif
Image Image
joan w

Postby kelly_m » Feb 06, 2009 2:35 pm

WWWHHHOOOAAAA!!!

I'm guessing the new template?

:shock: :shock:

I like the idea you can save a post....

Back to say...print is small though (not that my young eyes need to worry!! :wink: )
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby OGrubber » Feb 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Wowsers!
Looks good - agree with Kelly, print/font size needs to be larger. Ok now, but first thing in the morning before my pot of coffee - I dunno! laf!
OGrubber

Postby kelly_m » Feb 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Yeah...and I'm still plain green not big Green like lyn.....sigh.......

BUT I do like the "The Team" for members list...cute!

I guess when you meant soon, you meant , well, soon! :lol:

Oh....and the last post actually goes to the last post!!!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby williamtully » Feb 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Kelly wrote:WWWHHHOOOAAAA!!!
I'm guessing the new template?
:shock: :shock:

The new template... Remember the old forums before we updated everything last summer? Well, this template IS that old forum with an updated look. We went back to the blank slate and rebuilt the template to work with the new site. NOTHING was removed in terms of features and function - we just changed the look. If you had it before - you have it now. :D

Enjoy.
William Tully
Transcontinental Media Inc., Toronto, Ontario
---
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
---
williamtully

Next

Return to Feedback