Feedback - Gardening Forums

having to sign in ...

We want to hear from you. Share your feedback and tell us what’s on your mind.

having to sign in ...

Postby bluewillow » Aug 08, 2009 6:32 pm

William, I am having to sign in on a regular basis. How can i correct my problem?

thanks
bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Re: having to sign in ...

Postby williamtully » Aug 11, 2009 10:18 am

bluewillow wrote:William, I am having to sign in on a regular basis. How can i correct my problem?

Is this in the last couple weeks while the site has been acting up, or is this every single time you visit the forums?

In the last while we have been experiencing server issues which appear to be eating cookies... Here, let me explain:

Logins to websites are handled by cookies. So what's a cookie right? Well, in ultra-simplistic terms, think of it like an Oreo cookie. When you arrive to the site and login, your computer and our server take an Oreo, split it in half - we give you the top piece, and we keep the bottom. Now, when you come back tomorrow, our server asks your computer if you still have the half we gave you. It checks to see if the icing still matches what we have, and if it does, then you don't need to login again. Now, if we have a server issue and it eats the cookies on our end, then there is nothing to match up and we have to split a new one (aka. you need to login again). Similarly, if your browser is set to eat them when you leave, or an internet security program you have installed eats them before you come back then you need a new cookie.

So, between random server challenges (which happen), and potential settings on a users computer, these things can be eaten frequently which requires frequent logins. When people are required to login every single time they visit, generally that is a sign that there is a setting on that computer that is eating the cookies too frequently and is not hanging onto them for an extended period of time.

Hope that helped shed some light on it.
William Tully
Webmaster - WebOps Toronto
Transcontinental Media Inc., Toronto, Ontario
---
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
---
williamtully

Postby Smitty » Aug 11, 2009 10:28 am

I was always told that saving your cookies was a bad thing.wrong people could get a hold of them and could cause trouble for you puter. I have mine set to toss my cookies when I shut down internet but firefox saves all my log in info and it's as easy as one click when I arrive and I'm on my way again
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby bluewillow » Aug 11, 2009 10:32 am

It does get confusing William especially when I have no technical skills. I did have to sign in today ... its a hit and miss sorta thing. Thank you for your explanation too .... now I am some wiser. :wink:

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby williamtully » Aug 11, 2009 10:37 am

Smitty wrote:I was always told that saving your cookies was a bad thing.wrong people could get a hold of them and could cause trouble for you puter. I have mine set to toss my cookies when I shut down internet but firefox saves all my log in info and it's as easy as one click when I arrive and I'm on my way again

Yes, technically baddies could do something with them, however, it is extremely unlikely as I have a better chance of winning the lottery than someone compromising my cookies and running amok.. However, in light of not keeping them, using something like firefox is always a great alternative and you're right, it's as easy as one click to login again.

Cheers,
William Tully
---
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
---
williamtully

Postby Smitty » Aug 11, 2009 10:50 am

and here I was hoping that I may have a chance of winning the lottery :cry:
thanks for the puter lesson William. you make it easy for this puter illiterate to understand
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby MareE » Aug 11, 2009 11:37 am

Ditto what Smitty said, William! Thanks kindly for your excellent Cookies 101. But did you have to use an Oreo cookie to illustrate? I wouldn't be drooling on keyboard now if you'd used a Milkbone®. j/k Have a great day!

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Eeyore » Aug 11, 2009 1:53 pm

Love that explanation! It makes a whole lot of sense and it's easy to understand.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby williamtully » Aug 11, 2009 2:43 pm

Eeyore wrote:Love that explanation! It makes a whole lot of sense and it's easy to understand.

I've decided that the moment I figure out how to get paid ridiculous amounts of money for it, I'm quitting my job and am becoming a professional analogy creator. It would be like getting paid to constantly win the lottery. ;)
William Tully
---
---
williamtully

Postby Eeyore » Aug 11, 2009 3:30 pm

Then you could interpret legelese for people. :wink:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Next

Return to Feedback