Feedback - Gardening Forums

Site Slow Again 13 Aug 09

We want to hear from you. Share your feedback and tell us what’s on your mind.

Re: Site Slow Again 13 Aug 09

Postby Eeyore » Aug 17, 2009 12:20 am

Well something sure as heck is going on! I've had trouble since Thursday. I can get on, I can't reply, it's slow as molasses in January, I get booted off, I have to log in to reply, page won't load, Internet connection error...... you name it it's been happening all weekend!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Aug 17, 2009 1:45 am

intersting info there BBQ..means jack squat to this old bird .I'm definitely puter less than puter illiterate if there is such a thing. but I do know like Lyn I have had problem with this site since Thursday. same error messages here. and had it time out once already tonight while trying to post to other thread.
please ,please powers that be here, (I know we don't pay for using this site but I love coming here) could you make the forums run smoothly again...like they did before the change

.change..hey maybe that's the problem...website is female...we do get moody with the change :)

Smitty thinking maybe it is better to laugh? the other way didn't help much

this post sat in limbo for 13 minutes as I tried to refresh time out error.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby B_BQ » Aug 17, 2009 9:40 am

Hopefully the powers that be can get things back on track. Why does something like this always happen on the weekend?
I know this site is free to us, and I'm sure we're all very grateful for that, but CG does make money from this site from the advertisers. There are lots of adverts on each page we open, so I'm sure the advertisers would not be very happy once they learn that no-one is seeing their adverts!
I've tried to post words to this effect three times now, without success. I wonder if it will be third time lucky!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lizcordysmum » Aug 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Let's slow down and give a thought to what it must be like to be the paid employees trying to resolve the problems...the phone calls, the raised voices when the pressure is on, the lack of meals, lack of sleep, family pressures...the stress.

That's before we get into the advertiser problems...the places where the money comes from to provide this CG site for us.

This forum, these forums, are a hobby for us, and mostly a pleasure... and one of these fine days, it will be a pleasure again and I very much look forward to being here, enjoying it once more.

What I'd like to see, is when everything is finally resolved and working again...a concise explanation of what happened/causes...I'm always interested in solutions!

Best of luck CG site employees.

oh yes, and HUGS, too!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Laura » Aug 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Here,here Liz ...thanks for showing your compassion and patience.

I was a problem solver for many a year and problems were always a pleasure to resolve when someone with your attitude came along.

Cheers to the workers behind the forums who do GREAT work ... better days are coming .. Amen
Laura

Postby williamtully » Aug 25, 2009 2:49 pm

B_BQ wrote:I've just heard back from my IT guru, and an administrator in his own right. He has checked out the Forum. He uses a different path to me and he says that it's the Server CG are on. He says he also notices a lot of side server errors originating from CG servers.

Yes, it WAS. For about a week the sites were slowing down and the servers were having some challenges keeping up. It took our highly skilled crew an insane amount of time finally tracking down the issue, isolating it, and resolving it. The kicker of it all was that it was a completely different site that was taking down the other sites. Once the offending site was discovered, it was moved to another server where they could work on it without further affecting the working sites.

Last Wednesday the 19th, things were dramatically improved and the sites stabilized back to 100% service. We did have a bit of downtime this past Sunday, however, for the most part things seem to be stable once again.

B_BQ wrote:I can't repeat what else he said about the site though! :roll:
He suggests that the site could be improved!

We have yet to turn down suggestions, so have at it. :wink:
William Tully
Webmaster - WebOps Toronto
Transcontinental Media Inc., Toronto, Ontario
---
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
---
williamtully

Postby B_BQ » Aug 25, 2009 2:57 pm

:lol: You are a good sort William Tully!

I will alert the IT person at my end to your latest post and will let you know what his response is! He's very non confrontational and has a very good IT head on his shoulders, and a lot of experience.

Thanks for getting back to us on this. We don't really mean to complain, but sometimes frustration gets the upper hand.

We know you're doing a bang-up job, and some things are just beyond your control.

I think most of us are very appreciative of the time you always take to keep us in the loop. Problems are much easier understood if some real explanation is given.

Thanks again.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lizcordysmum » Aug 25, 2009 3:37 pm

Thank you, William...appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby B_BQ » Aug 25, 2009 4:41 pm

I heard back from the IT person at this end. Unfortunately he was not forthcoming about actually fixing any problems, but this is what he wrote:

'I'm glad they figured it out. Now if they can get off of the Windows platform, they would have less problems".

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Aigle » Aug 25, 2009 6:21 pm

Thank you william for saying anything at all :D . Getting my IT to tell me what's going on with the servers is like pulling teeth and I'm one of THEM, even!.

I am glad I stayed away from that end, I like the "reality" of being the mechanic, (I can field strip a T43 and rebuild 2 bad ones into one good one in under an hour), rather than being the road - engineer!
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Previous

Return to Feedback