Feedback - Gardening Forums

Site Slow Again 13 Aug 09

We want to hear from you. Share your feedback and tell us what’s on your mind.

Re: Site Slow Again 13 Aug 09

Postby Northpine » Aug 14, 2009 5:00 pm

It's still very slow for me here late Friday, but at least I could get it to open. Prior to this I couldn't get the site to load at all.
I sure hope these problems get ironed out soon. I'm almost ready to give up.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby MareE » Aug 15, 2009 12:26 pm

Well, you know the old saw, ladies. A good workman never blames his/her tools. Seems that Angus and William are good workmen and can rightfully blame the tools in their Snap-On. Good luck, guys!

MareE;o} @ 12:20 pm Saturday from iMac/Firefox quicker on the draw than PC/whatsitgewgaw

Here're the msgs received

Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.
Last edited by MareE on Aug 15, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby B_BQ » Aug 15, 2009 12:40 pm

MareE wrote:12:20 pm Saturday from iMac quicker on the draw than PC

12.36 on here, Saturday 15th. I was able to get on the forum, (very briefly), this morning using the PC/Windows/Firefox. Didn't last more than a couple of minutes though before I was kicked off!
A few minutes later I was able to get on with the iMac/Safari but, again, was booted off unceremoniously!

I've got some interesting opinions, and am asking the person who has opined, if I could post them for William and Angus, and anyone else who might be interested.

Am awaiting his response.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby MareE » Aug 15, 2009 12:51 pm

Had some leisure time to edit in more info and re-post at almost same time you posted, Brenda.

Yeah, that'd be great to hear constructive opines for the Feedback crew.

Also interested MareE;o} hitting SEND @12:50pm
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Aigle » Aug 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Dear Mr. Gardening,

I'd like to voice my displeasure with your website. I pay good money to.....oh wait...this is all free.

Never mind and sincerely,
Michelena.

I'm not a networking dude, but I can think of so many things that would make the system slow, unfortunately over half of them are things out of "Our Will"'s hands (hardware failures and mostly, telecomm issues).

I'm just trying to be really nostalgic and pretending it's 1992. Posting at 1455 EST.
Last edited by Aigle on Aug 15, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby B_BQ » Aug 15, 2009 3:15 pm

:lol:
A friend says almost the same thing!

He has given me permission to quote him, for what it is worth!

~BBQ

>The forums are hosted via Bell Network, so the site is in Canada. (Actually looks like from Montreal), - a good thing.
>The site is slow for maybe two things. It might be on a shared server, or shared network which has its "prime" time and not so prime time. It might be on a server which has seen better days, and might need an upgrade - both bad things.
>The site software is a POS - excuse my French.
>The only thing I can suggest is to find another forum which does not have these problems, or everyone should start paying for the forums in order to purchase better servers and bandwidth.
>You get what you pay for!!

He then sent me another email:

>The site is running under Windows Server. Despite all the bad things I said earlier, running Windows is the worst.
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby MareE » Aug 15, 2009 3:35 pm

Ahem. BBQ, I think your friend's French is inexcusable. Doesn't POS translate into pdm? Mich, mebbe Mario would know. Love your letter to Mr Gardening. laffs

Seriously, it's all gobbledegook to me, but sounds good as in makes sense. Thank your friend for shedding light, BBQ, however murky as in bad news.

Unsigned
MareE

Postby B_BQ » Aug 15, 2009 4:46 pm

:lol: He is from PQ and speaks the language, but prefers to live in ON and speak the other language!

He is very knowledgeable - has been building his own computers since the age of 7, is an administrator and web master, IT person par excellence, and really really understands what makes our technological gadgets work and why! He's a good young man to have available to help.

~BBQ(computerilliteratebuthasagoodfriendwhoiscomputerliterate)
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby MareE » Aug 15, 2009 6:35 pm

B_BQ wrote::lol: He is from PQ and speaks the language, but prefers to live in ON and speak the other language!

Had a BF (not our Butterfly) a lot like that! He couldn't understand why we Ontarians were taught Parisien français in high school. Or is that française parisienne (with humble excusez-moi to Jazz).

Only IT person I know is Sue-chef. Took me a while to know what IT even stood for. hahaha & shame on me.

MareEwhosuccessfullycookedjasminericetheGallopingGourmetway;o}
MareE

Postby B_BQ » Aug 16, 2009 2:37 pm

This is an email I received from the IT friend:
~BBQ

Another thought occurred to me. Perhaps the site or network that the CF is hosted at is under a DDOS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

Much like Twitter/Facebook/My Space are regularly under attack, they have times in which it is slow and out right unavailable.
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback