Feedback - Gardening Forums

UPDATE - 091111

We want to hear from you. Share your feedback and tell us what’s on your mind.

UPDATE - 091111

Postby williamtully » Nov 11, 2009 2:39 pm

Oh the joys of trying to improve things....

Ok, it turns out that a new server went online yesterday (good news), except some of the critical information like forum cookies didn't get transferred over (bad news). This new server going online caught many people by surprise so there was a bit of a delay in figuring out what exactly the issue was.

Not being able to login, stay logged in, post, debug error messages, etc. were all part of the problem. Essentially half the system thinks you're logged in, and the other half won't believe a word of it...

Everything appears to be running normally again, and I would STRONGLY suggest clearing your browser cache & cookies (site wouldn't work for me either until I did so) before continuing on.

Cheers,
William Tully
Webmaster - WebOps Toronto
Transcontinental Media Inc., Toronto, Ontario
---
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
---
williamtully

Re: UPDATE - 091111

Postby Eeyore » Nov 11, 2009 3:32 pm

Thanks Bill!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Nov 11, 2009 3:37 pm

Thanks Bill....but FYI...whether it's my computer or not, don't know, but I had to toss my cookies etc. 3 times before the forum let me back on.
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » Nov 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Hope you're feeling better now K. I only had to toss mine twice. :wink:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Nov 11, 2009 3:40 pm

:shock: :lol: :lol:

Much better thanks! :lol:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby bluewillow » Nov 11, 2009 6:32 pm

I'll have to find my cookies to toss and then hopefully will be able to log
in automatically. Shall keep trying.

Puter has been away to the hospital for a little tuneup ..... 8 days in total!

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby earwig » Nov 12, 2009 8:39 am

williamtully wrote:Everything appears to be running normally again, and I would STRONGLY suggest clearing your browser cache & cookies (site wouldn't work for me either until I did so) before continuing on.

So I take it that although there is an option on the forum to "clear all board cookies" it does not do the job? I decided that would be a nice easy way to clear my cookies vs scrolling through the batches of dough I have in my settings. But I discovered I still had to go and manually remove the canadian gardening cookies.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby williamtully » Nov 12, 2009 10:13 am

earwig wrote:
williamtully wrote:Everything appears to be running normally again, and I would STRONGLY suggest clearing your browser cache & cookies (site wouldn't work for me either until I did so) before continuing on.

So I take it that although there is an option on the forum to "clear all board cookies" it does not do the job? I decided that would be a nice easy way to clear my cookies vs scrolling through the batches of dough I have in my settings. But I discovered I still had to go and manually remove the canadian gardening cookies.

Dang, forgot that was there.. Correct, the 'clear all board cookies' will not do a thing because the cookies are handled by a different system due to the integration with the H&G sites. Cookies need to be removed through the browser.
William Tully
Webmaster - WebOps Toronto
Transcontinental Media Inc., Toronto, Ontario
---
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
---
williamtully

Postby earwig » Nov 12, 2009 1:39 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

I have a feeling that all is not back to normal yet, just a few weird things going on when I came on this time.....
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby B_BQ » Nov 12, 2009 2:12 pm

This forum is getting wobblier with each passing day!

I give a loud shout of 'Yes' when I can post, but a loud 'Groan' when I try to respond to a thread a minute later and I get kicked back to the home page.

I've responded at length to a couple of threads only to be kicked off when I try to submit.

My cookies have been purged, twice, and I'm still having problems - even having to log in sometimes!

Some of us who have been around for a few years are still wondering why we had to be forced kicking and screaming into the newest, latest and greatest CG garden forum upgrade. The old-fashioned way never gave us any problems, was reliable, easy to use, and almost everyone was able to circumnavigate it really easily. Now.......!!!!!!!!

If I was a newbie wanting to get involved in this forum, I would, as others have said, closed the door and gone looking for another garden forum which was much more user-friendly.

Just to be on the safe side I'm going to c & p this response, because no doubt I won't be able to submit it! I'll then try again later!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Next

Return to Feedback