Feedback - Gardening Forums

Attention William

We want to hear from you. Share your feedback and tell us what’s on your mind.

Re: Attention William

Postby Trailblaze1 » Feb 10, 2010 11:32 am

OH NO!

Could it be my Blog link that's been causing problems?!!! I had it in the description part of my control panel, in the place where it says "tell us a little about yourself..."

For weeks, I have been receiving tons of spam email from one particular address called "arin-net/cgi bin"

I never put it together that the cgi could be this forum! I just noticed that this morning. I just now took it out of my profile.

I hope I didn't break the forum, and if I did.....a thousand heartfelt apologies!!!

Perhaps William can look into this? I have several long strings of addresses of this arin.net who speaks with bad english and likes to leave silly, dumb jokes.

Please tell me if it was or wasn't me? and if perhaps the problem will now be fixed because I removed my Blog link?
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby joan w » Feb 10, 2010 12:35 pm

B_BQ. Yes, I see your zone in your signature, but it also shows in the information on the right as
SE Ontario Zone 5a/b.
This is where I would like mine to show but can't figure out how to do it.
Image Image
joan w

Postby williamtully » Feb 11, 2010 11:12 am

Trailblaze1 wrote:Could it be my Blog link that's been causing problems?!!! I had it in the description part of my control panel, in the place where it says "tell us a little about yourself..."
For weeks, I have been receiving tons of spam email from one particular address called "arin-net/cgi bin"

I'm sorry, I must have missed something - I have no idea what you are referring too.. :shock:

joan w wrote:B_BQ. Yes, I see your zone in your signature, but it also shows in the information on the right as SE Ontario Zone 5a/b. This is where I would like mine to show but can't figure out how to do it.

It is not currently possible to update/change/remove your location if you currently have one, or do not have one. The location information shown on the right were brought over from the forum before the re-launch. This information is in the forums database and is being pulled out and displayed on the right, however, there is currently no interface to add/edit/delete this information on the current forum.

This issue has been raised with the product manager and solutions have been provided that are unique to the current setup/integration of this forum with the primary site. I am currently waiting for a decision to be made regarding this issue.

In the mean time, I would suggest that you add your location to your signature if you wish it to be displayed correctly between now and when this issue is resolved.

Thanks,
William Tully
Webmaster - WebOps Toronto
Transcontinental Media Inc., Toronto, Ontario
---
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
---
williamtully

Postby Trailblaze1 » Feb 11, 2010 3:36 pm

I was in error: My hubby says that any website has a directory called cgi-bin. CGI means 'common gateway interface' .

Wikipedia says this about it:

"The Common Gateway Interface (CGI) is a standard protocol that defines how webserver software can delegate the generation of webpages to a console application. Such applications are known as CGI scripts; they can be written in any programming language, although scripting languages are often used."

etc there's much more on it, if you do a search on Wikipedia. I don't understand most of it, and I don't know what 'bin' represents.
Trailblaze1

Postby williamtully » Feb 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Trailblaze1 wrote:I was in error: My hubby says that any website has a directory called cgi-bin. CGI means 'common gateway interface' .

Um, yes, thank you, I knew that...

Trailblaze1 wrote:For weeks, I have been receiving tons of spam email from one particular address called "arin-net/cgi bin"

I never put it together that the cgi could be this forum! I just noticed that this morning. I just now took it out of my profile.

I hope I didn't break the forum, and if I did.....a thousand heartfelt apologies!!!

I still don't know what any of this means. "arin-net/cgi-bin" has nothing to do with the forums, I doubt a link to your blog created spam, and I'm not aware of anything breaking....
William Tully
Webmaster - WebOps Toronto
Transcontinental Media Inc., Toronto, Ontario
---
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
---
williamtully

Postby Trailblaze1 » Feb 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Oh good, I'll just drop it then. Thank you.
Trailblaze1

Previous

Return to Feedback