Feedback - Gardening Forums

Hardiness Zone.

We want to hear from you. Share your feedback and tell us what’s on your mind.

Hardiness Zone.

Postby Dumbo » Mar 20, 2012 11:03 am

In this topic titled "Profile Information - Location or Zone", viewforum.php?f=7, it gives the link to some useless website.

So this is my feedback on it:

That locked and pinned topic created by Kelly about 4-yrs ago contains a link that is pretty well useless. Maybe 4 years ago it was ok? But today the link is actually for sale to the highest bidder (domain is being sat on) and the references they give you will only be those from people who paid them for the link or part of a click for $ sponsor. It brings you in circles not giving you the proper information and each click gives them money instead of you getting information.

Not only that, but the company that owns that website clearly states they will keep and record everything you do while on their site or their sponsors sites, and perform Behavioral Advertising on you. Who needs that? See http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp which owns that site. All they are is one big advertising site selling your info. I don't know why you spam their link in that topic.

I'm sure you guys/women can come up with something better. Maybe time to update that Zone topic?

A quick search shows this for Plant Hardiness Zones of Canada:

Agriculture Canada: Shows your zone by colour reference. Seems just giving you the actual zone # is beyound their capabilities and they are stuck in the 60's or something going by colour instead.

English Link: http://atlas.agr.gc.ca/agmaf/index_eng.htm
(Bilingual)

Natural resources Canada, Similar to the map above:
https://glfc.cfsnet.nfis.org/mapserver/ ... itle=61-90
(bilingual)

Commercial site (Dominion seed-house and their Quebec owned company, horticlub) will tell you your Canadian Hardiness zone based on your Area Code (something Agriculture Canada and Natural Resouces Canada can't figure out [insert eye roll here]):

English: http://www.dominion-seed-house.com/en-C ... hZone.aspx

French: http://www.horticlub.com/fr-CA/SearchZone.aspx

I don't see why Canadian Gardening can't contact Agri-Canada and ask them for their Dbase on zone by area code (or similar). Then create your own widget where users can input in their area code to get their zone. This isn't rocket science. Your friendly admin would be happy to do this ;)

I noticed some sites will also give hardiness zone based on your IP (ie: Geo-Location). But I would avoid this since blocks of IP's change hands frequently, or some ISP's change allocation to other BAS's in different cities (ie: Bell does this), or indi-ISP's buy blocks of IP's from anywhere since there is a shortage. Or some people use proxies/VPN's.

I think you guys don't like to link to, or promote, a specific commercial site like Dominion. But, if they have the info, why not. Just make your standard disclaimer if needed. Or link to something else/better.

Anything would be better than the link currently there.

/end my feedback ;)

Edit:
Agriculure Canada's direct link get's a 404 for some reason, Here is an alternate link to it:
http://atlas.agr.gc.ca/agmaf/index_eng. ... phz-zrp_en
Dumbo

Re: Hardiness Zone.

Postby Eeyore » Mar 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Dumbo, I cannot find the topic you are referring to. The link you provide takes me to the "Soup 2012" page. If you can provide the correct link I will delete that thread.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Mar 20, 2012 2:15 pm

No worries...I know where it is. it was deeply hidden in the old forum...but seems to be there in the new....I will delete it, since the info from 4 years ago appears to be useless....I had left it there just in case someone found it useful. little did I know itwas useless....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Dumbo » Mar 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Eeyore wrote:Dumbo, I cannot find the topic you are referring to. The link you provide takes me to the "Soup 2012" page. If you can provide the correct link I will delete that thread.

I think the topic was deleted. It used to be the first post. People work fast here, wow.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Mar 20, 2012 2:35 pm

kelly_m wrote:I had left it there just in case someone found it useful

Actually it is a good idea, and useful. Just not with that link ;)
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Mar 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Yeah, that K sure is fast! :twisted:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Pick on K day

Postby Dumbo » Mar 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Eeyore wrote:Yeah, that K sure is fast! :twisted:

I'm kind of dumb so I don't think I understand. I think I need a picture to fully comprehend what you mean. :twisted:
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » Mar 20, 2012 4:59 pm

LOL!!!

Here's the picture....I AM KELLY.....and I am also known as kelly_mac. Old forum I was Kelly...but then it would lock me out and I created a new account...kelly_mac...for those times it would lock me out.

Then....When this new incarnation of the forum showed up, I could not get back on as Kelly so I got changed to kelly_m.

Those who have been around a while know I have multiple personalities........... :shock:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby kelly_m » Mar 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Oh...forgot to mention....All three of my personalities have Mod capabilites....and I always sign off as K...so that's what the call me....just so they don't get confused....it's easy to remember and well, we know how easy it is to confuse some of these people!!LOL

My kids are known as Kkids too.....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Blame Eeyore Day!

Postby Dumbo » Mar 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Dumbo wrote:
Eeyore wrote:Yeah, that K sure is fast! :twisted:

..... I think I need a picture to fully comprehend what you mean. :twisted:

kelly_m wrote:I have multiple personalities........... :shock:

kelly_m wrote:All three of my personalities have Mod capabilites

Not quite the picture I had in mind... But hey, the more the merrier. On that note, please don't delete me Ms. Mod., you either Ms. K. Same goes for Kelly_Mac, Kelly, and Kelly_m.

I guess I should refer to you in the plural now?

*Bows before the almighty Kelly-Mod's and points at Eeyore*
Just so we are all on the same page, I wish to point out that Eeyore started this mess. I am innocent. All I wanted to do was point out a "funny" link. Then Eeyore dragged it all down-hill from there. Plus I'm dumb. So I don't know what I'm saying half the time.

Edit
Dumbo

Next

Return to Feedback