Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Dipladenia

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Dipladenia

Postby Blossom » Nov 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Is anyone over-wintering one of these? It is in my Bay-window with a lot of light. Has been blooming since i brought it in. Hope it makes it through the winter.

"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Re: Dipladenia

Postby earwig » Nov 17, 2008 9:10 pm

Beautiful, is it another name for a Mandevilla? I tried one year but no success. It didn't look as healthy as that when I tried though, poor thing didn't have much of a chance.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby orchidguy » Nov 17, 2008 10:01 pm

Blossom

Your Dipladenia is indeed now under the Mandevilla name. They prefer cooler temps over the winter months (or at least an 8 degree drop in temperature overnight) and very bright light to maintain their growth. If it has been brought in from outside, it will probably lose some leaves and all its initial blooms. Dont despair, this is a natural thing for plants to do when their environment has changed. Keep your plant evenly moist (not saturated) and it should make it through quite nicely till summer. They are from central and south America and are considered tropicals. Hope this bit of info can be of some help to you
orchidguy

Postby Blossom » Nov 19, 2008 5:11 pm

Thanks for your input Orchidguy. It has been in the house now since the end of Sept. and hasn't yet lost any leaves or blooms. I will be moving it though to a cooler room upstairs. I need the bay window for my Christmas Village.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 27, 2008 12:51 pm

In the Fall of 2007, I cut my dipladenia back to within six inches and removed all the foliage. It was stored in the basement (dark) with a very light watering on occasion to keep the roots from drying out. The plant came through just fine. Have just pruned it back and put in the basement for another winter's nap.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Blossom » Nov 29, 2008 8:45 pm

Thanks Trish for that info. Something to try for next year. I had to move my dipladenia upstairs to make room for that darn Chrismas Village again. This is the last time I'm putting it up. I will pack it up after Christmas and give it to my daughter. She can carry on the tradition. I need that window for my plants!
Blossom

Postby A Closet Canuck » Dec 02, 2008 9:58 am

LOL LOL LOL Spoken like a true gardener!!!
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby joan w » Dec 07, 2008 12:52 pm

I like red flowers at Christmas time and this is a beauty Blossom. I'm sure your daughter will cherish your Christmas village.
Image Image
joan w

Postby patty » Dec 07, 2008 11:19 pm

Those flowers are so pretty Blossom. Hope it does well for you, and gives you even a better show next season
patty

Postby ilynn » Oct 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Just purchased two Dipladenia plants this summer and really loved them, so easy to care for. Thanks for your info on overwintering them; I am going to try to get them used to being indoors by putting them in my porch area, which is cool. Eventually I will take them in and put them in a window in a cool area of the house. Hope it works as they are too nice to toss away. Thanks again.
ilynn

Return to Garden Gallery