Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Did I miss the soup?

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Did I miss the soup?

Postby Melroche » Jan 18, 2009 1:28 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm back, after a rather long hiatus, and wondering if I've missed "the soup" (I think that's what it was called...our garden plant pics from A-Z)? Has it happened yet? I went back through several pages and didn't find any posts..can't remember when we did it last year, but I know it was through the winter, because it was wonderful and colourful and got me pumped up for Spring!!

Melroche
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Re: Did I miss the soup?

Postby kelly_m » Jan 18, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi Mel...welcome back...nope, soup has not happened yet!

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby patty » Jan 18, 2009 8:13 pm

Melroche wrote:Hello Everyone,

I'm back, after a rather long hiatus, and wondering if I've missed "the soup" (I think that's what it was called...our garden plant pics from A-Z)? Has it happened yet? I went back through several pages and didn't find any posts..can't remember when we did it last year, but I know it was through the winter, because it was wonderful and colourful and got me pumped up for Spring!!

Melroche

Hi Melroche....nice to see you. The soup usually starts Jan. 15th. I didn't start it for two reasons. One being that quite a few regular soup contributors, including myself at times, have had a lot of problems posting with this new format, and I didn't want to go ahead without these posters. The garden forums seem to be so slow any more, I wonder if others have moved on.

If there is enough interest and a volunteer to help out we can get the 6th annual soup started.
patty

Postby Eeyore » Jan 18, 2009 10:52 pm

What do you need from a volunteer Patty? I'd love to see another soup. They are always inspiring.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby patty » Jan 18, 2009 11:09 pm

Eeyore wrote:What do you need from a volunteer Patty? I'd love to see another soup. They are always inspiring.

Hi Eeyore; we basically just need a couple volunteers willing to post a new letter of the alphabet every other day, to help keep it organized so that they're aren't several new threads started for same letter causing confusion.
patty

Postby orchidguy » Jan 18, 2009 11:50 pm

Err, umm ...not to sound too wet behind the ears, what is this soup thingy about ?
orchidguy

Postby Smitty » Jan 19, 2009 12:08 am

orchidguy wrote:Err, umm ...not to sound too wet behind the ears, what is this soup thingy about ?

I'm wondering too
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Eeyore » Jan 19, 2009 12:20 am

Alphabet soup is Patty's baby. She and Savona started it several years ago (I believe that's right, but correct me if I'm not). She and Savona post a letter every few days and then forum members are free to post plants starting with that letter. It can be according to common name or Latin name. With so many forum members it's been suggested that members be limited to 3 photos for each letter of the alphabet. That a rule isn't strictly enforced but it is strongly encouraged. Patty will let you know if I've goofed up the description. Patty is looking for another volunteer to help with the postings this year.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby patty » Jan 19, 2009 1:10 am

You pretty much got it Eeyore. Here is what was posted last year.

For any new posters what we do is post pictures of our flowers, veggies, shrubs, trees, houseplants, anything we had growing last season following the alphabet.

We will start with the letter "A" and posting a new letter every other day until we reach the letter "Z."

Just to make it a little more fun, and easier for everyone to join in we added a couple rules; we can use latin, common names, species etc. as long as the letter of the day starts somewhere in the name. We can only post that picture once throughout the alphabet. For example, say you posted campanula bernice blue wonder for the letter B (bernice) you cannot post it again for letter C (campanula)

It's a lot of fun sharing our photos, while at the same time brightening our blah days of winter. Every year we have new posters joining in and we look forward to seeing many more again this year.

So get your photos and your "must have list" for 09 ready to go! I guarantee that list will be much longer by the time the soup is finished.:)

As Eeyore mentioned we like to keep a limit to a fair amount of pictures per poster for those using dial up.

If anyone has any questions, suggestions, just add them here or pm one of us.
patty

Postby kelly_m » Jan 19, 2009 8:52 am

Patty, also remember that Lyn and I have the capabilities as moderators to move topics if, say a Campanula is posted in with the Gallardia's.....we can split topics if someone goes off on a tangent, and we can try to deal with things as they come up.

Khoping to help make it easier
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Next

Return to Garden Gallery