Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

ALPHABET SOUP ~~ B

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: ALPHABET SOUP ~~ B

Postby Blossom » Jan 24, 2009 11:41 am

Enjoying everyone's contributions. . .
Here is "Black Out" Asiatic Lily

Brugmansia - Blooming indoors in Oct.

Baloon Flowers - got really tall last year. They loved all the rain. . .

"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby Koot » Jan 24, 2009 12:41 pm

The soup is just wonderful!! OH the aroma..............All the pictures are just so welcome at this time of year.
Blue Bell

Bee balm

Begonia
KOOT (not the old, either) Libby zone 5
Cares melt when you kneel in your garden.
Koot

Postby bluebird » Jan 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Keep those beauty B's coming! This is such a way to get ideas from REAL gardeners who are "been there done that".

Savonna, your salvia is on my list for sure!

Thanks Lizzy and Linda! I totally knocked myself out to get that combo shot and was over the moon when I finally did. :) I think I can grow butterfly bush here (Z5b)...my sister has wintered them over so I'll see what variety she's growing.
bluebird

Postby Lindamct » Jan 24, 2009 1:43 pm

Carol let me know the variety your sister grows. I am Z5b. I'm thinking perhaps I could. They do sell them in the garden centers around here, but they don't guarantee them. Keep knocking your self out kiddo! I always admire your photography! :wink: :D
Lindamct

Postby Lizcordysmum » Jan 24, 2009 3:43 pm

Laura...that one was just a fluke...had some partials, lop-sided, and that one large piggy back. Bought it as a plant or daughter Two gave it to me, and I do not have a variety name for you. I wonder if Kelly does, she also got one (at least!)

Everyone, I too was thinking of the names of some of the flowers...so ugly, and then such a beautiful planting. I am reading an old Eileen Goudge novel, and many plants are mentioned...can anyone tell me what is Traveller's Joy or must I do the google-thingie?

Earwig...you show a lovely Beauty Bush...now how come I have a plant with a name on it, and it says Purple Beauty Bush...it just gets lovely shiny amethyst tiny berries on it for all winter...never flowers?
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby orchidguy » Jan 24, 2009 5:47 pm

Liz

The travellers joy plant is Clematis vitalba, and grew alongside ditches so that all travellers could see it

The purple berried plant you are talking about goes by the common name amethyst beauty berry........which is either Callicarpa or Symphoricarpos, both go by that common name
orchidguy

Postby joan w » Jan 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Love the blue of your Brachycome, Donna.
Image Image
joan w

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jan 24, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks Joan. It's astonishing just HOW much blue is in my garden! :)
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » Jan 24, 2009 10:46 pm

BB - I have successfully overwintered Butterfly bush for one winter. This winter is much harsher but I'll let you know how it goes. It does die back to ground level here in zone 3. My backyard can successfully grow zone 4 plants.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby bluebird » Jan 25, 2009 12:19 am

Good to know Lyn! Do you know which variety it is? Do share with Linda and me!

Also, I used to heavily mulch mine at our old place after the ground was frozen. It could get pretty cold there too and as we didn't get as much snow it helped a bit I think. Are you mulching yours?

Mine used to die back to about a foot or so from the ground, but some years they went right back to the ground. In anycase, even if they don't make it through the winter, I'd put them in the garden and treat them like an annual if I have to. Nothing beats them as a butterfly and hummer magnate!

(Thanks Linda for the friendly words of encouragement! :) )
bluebird

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Gallery