Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

ALPHABET SOUP ~~ E

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: ALPHABET SOUP ~~ E

Postby Sharon Bryson » Jan 29, 2009 10:53 am

Here is a little selection of E's

Enkianthus, an ericaceous shrub with flowers in June, and brillant red foliage in the fall.

Click for fall colour

Eremurus robustus, the Foxtail Lily.

Exochorda macrantha, a spring blooming shub.

Click here for more E's

Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Eeyore » Jan 29, 2009 10:56 am

I like that shrub, it's very pretty Sharon.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Jan 29, 2009 11:05 am

asiatic lily 'electric orange'

another 'etoille violette' clematis
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Eeyore » Jan 29, 2009 11:07 am

I don't have Electric Orange.... I always thought it should have been named Creamsicle.... Smitty, you and I are going to have to arrange a bulb swap....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Jan 29, 2009 11:21 am

anytime Lyn...you know where to find me...and if you happen across Dan's Black Prince Martagon in your perusal of lily catalogues will you give me a shout..I gotta have it :)
one can NEVER have toooooooooooooooo many lilies.
BTW..looking in Vesey's Tool mag and they have King 'Organic' Bug Killer with rotenone to kill those pesky lily beetles :)
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty

Postby Eeyore » Jan 29, 2009 12:25 pm

Touch wood, we haven't seen the lily beetle in our area yet. It IS in the province but not in Edmonton yet.
Martagons are expensive bulbs but one advantage is that if they are put into the right spot you can leave them for 15-20 years before they need to be divided. In fact they don't like to be disturbed. I don't have any Martagons..... yet..... :P
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Lindamct » Jan 29, 2009 12:33 pm

Rotenone sadly, has been known and proven to leach into our water table and temporarily,decrease fish population. There have been on going studies linked to Parkinson's Disease as well.There must be something totally organic to deter the Red Lily Beetle. :roll: :D
Lindamct

Postby orchidguy » Jan 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Linda

In 1995 Penn State University's center for Bioremediation and Detoxification reported that a tincture of one or all of the listed items are all known deterrents to most hard bodied insects, including the red lily beetle

-rhubarb leaves
-potatoe and tomatoe leaves
-marigold (calendula) leaves and flowers
-elderberry leaves
-great fleabane (Inula conyza)
-hydrogen peroxide
-capasaicin (hot pepper)
-neem oil
-hydrated lime
-horseradish

I have never had trouble with insects on my lilies, but I know that a mixture of rhubarb leaves, horseradish and a few drops of hydrogen peroxide seems to deter the pine beetles, maybe it would work on the lilies too???????
orchidguy

Postby Lindamct » Jan 29, 2009 1:34 pm

Good to know Dan thanks. I have copied and pasted this info into my Journal for future studies and trials. :D
Lindamct

Postby Smitty » Jan 29, 2009 6:24 pm

yep..copied and pasted here too. I'll try anything. last year handpicking was a steady job to keep them at bay. coffee in one hand and glove on the other to pick and squish the little beggars as I saw them..thank god they never got to the larvae stage.
Smitty

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Gallery