Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

ALPHABET SOUP ~~ O

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: ALPHABET SOUP ~~ O

Postby Eeyore » Feb 22, 2009 8:24 pm

ummm, gotta ask... why would you want Devil's club in your yard? Doesn't it spread like crazy?

Love Mock Orange! It smells so divine when it blooms.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Katherine » Feb 22, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi Lyn, No it doesnt spread unless it has perfect conditions, which dont occur here. Devils' club needs shade, highly organic deep soil with a lot of water moving through it. It occurs virtually no where in the lower valley bottom that I know of, because is very open, sandy and rocky and mostly well drained, except where its so compacted, its like cement, but that doesnt occur very often. I want to get an excavator friend of mine to come in here in the spring and create a small pond in the river bottom by the big rock in the middle. if I line the bottom of the pond at the shallow end in a couple of places with thick pond liner rubber, and dump in about a zillion bags of peat, I should be able to get it to grow, under a lodgepole pine, maybe. Ha ha. Dunno I just like it. its nasty and bites really bad and I am sorta allergic to it, but it reminds me of working in the bush around Clearwater and Blue river. I love this plant for some reason. I was also thinking of Rogersia, (at least I think its Rogersia, but thing LOOKS like devils club but aint) which is a zone 7 but a pal of mine can grow hers here if she covers it up with hay every fall.

Why do I do this to myself?
Katherine

Postby Eeyore » Feb 22, 2009 10:06 pm

Oooh! A pond in the basement would be great! I remember seeing lots of Devil's Club further up the Columbia River above Revelstoke. Yes, it was awfully damp there and very rich soil.
I think you might be thinking of Gunnera.... I believe Gary from Cape Breton was going to try it in his zone 5 (?) garden. With LOTS of protection I think it can be managed. You might actually be able to manage it in your zone if it's situated properly and well covered in the winter.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby neng_perea » Feb 25, 2009 1:07 pm

We had fish pond but not totally finish and is not same like Greg ponds ..but still okey... Anyway , I will add Oriental Poppy for letter O..
Attachments
IMG_1522.JPG
neng_perea

Postby Eeyore » Mar 06, 2009 1:30 am

Bumpity Bump
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Previous

Return to Garden Gallery