Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

ALPHABET SOUP ~~ W

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: ALPHABET SOUP ~~ W

Postby joan w » Mar 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Betty, are those part of your new gardens at the front of your house? If so, they are filling in nicely.

We have had some lovely W's posted. Sorry to see it come to an end.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 05, 2009 4:32 pm

terrible picture of my W here...

Wisteria is now 7 years in ground, was first trained to go along a fence that no longer exists, now climbs up the porch and across it...Blooms lavishly, smells gloriously, and my picture was taken at wrong time of sunshine. Is Chinese, is blue-mauve...blooms twice a year, first time it is covered, later just here and there, but smells just as pretty!

So many beautiful pictures here, and in each letter along the way...thank you ALL!
Attachments
wisteria back porch.jpg
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Blossom » Mar 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Liz - I have thought about planting wisteria for years and never tried it. I just love the looks of it and of course those hanging blooms. What are the requirements of this glorious vine? Maybe I could give it a shot.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 05, 2009 6:36 pm

Blossom...I would hate to live without wisteria...I don't mind the much-mess of the leaves when they fall, I love the finished blooms that dye the yellow porch railings and floor...I absolutely love the way it grows across where the steps are, and one is brushed in the face by those drooping blossoms that smell like Heaven.

As you know, I live in a climate that is good to wisteria...my suggestion to you, is to search until you find one perfectly suited to your area...I have always (3 times) grown them in more or less enclosed gardens. You must give them lots of support. There are several/many varieties, and you must choose your favourite...after I planted mine, my daughter Two planted a blue one and I suffer terribly from wisteria-envy!

Mine gets lots of water...rain, plus. It's in a bed with other stuff, so spring stuff gets bone meal when finished blooming, and then perennials and annuals grow as well...so there is feeding.

It CAN strangle trees, eventually, it WILL climb into the porch roof, the vinyl siding.....so one must be diligent.

When it is spent, and winter comes, I feed the little Pine Siskins and House Finches, from a niger feeder suspended from the clothesline wire the wisteria grows along...and since only so many birds can be seated at a time, many more perch in the bare brown branches.

And they poop all over my porch and railings and make much work...but it is so wonderful to stand at the windowed storm door and watch them all! To me this plant gives so much.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby earwig » Mar 05, 2009 8:46 pm

[quote="joan w"][color=#800040][size=150][b]Betty, are those part of your new gardens at the front of your house? If so, they are filling in nicely.

Yes, that is the second year for that area. Still have a few changes to make, but then, isn't there always changes to make?

I have decided I want to sit on Liz's porch under her wistera, now I wouldn't change one thing under there.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Lulu » Mar 07, 2009 7:00 pm

bump

There you go, Kat
Lulu

Postby Sharon Bryson » Mar 07, 2009 7:51 pm

A couple of W's(sort of) that this forum didn't let happen a few days ago.
Weigela
wiegela_bypond_inset28.JPG

Welcome Stone

poppies_welcome2785 (Medium).jpg

Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Pansy » Mar 07, 2009 11:28 pm

Sharon I have pictures of your garden that even you wouldn't believe.

I keep stealing them for my desktop.So it's about time I said Thanks.

Hope you don't mind.LOL..LOL.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Mar 08, 2009 12:42 am

Sharon,

I see weigelia for sale here but was never sure about plant hardiness. Are there different varieties that would survive Zone 2, or is it strictly for someone willing to push the envelope of their zone? Lovely picture of it, btw.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Puff10 » Mar 08, 2009 10:30 am

My third and final W
Attachments
IMG_0006.JPG
"white feather" hosta just starting to grow in a container
Puff10

Previous

Return to Garden Gallery