Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Soup Leftovers!

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: Soup Leftovers!

Postby Lulu » Mar 11, 2009 7:41 am

Here's my 3 year old Japanese willow (Hakuro Nishiki) that I wanted to post, rather than the baby one I posted. Love this bush, but had to move it away from the house, it just got waaayy too big, too fast, and no matter how many times I trimmed it, it just went wild. It now lives down by the lake, but, is taking a while to come back.
Attachments
japanese willow 346S.JPG
This was not taken at it's prime, when the tips were almost a hot pink!
Lulu

Postby Eeyore » Mar 11, 2009 9:07 am

I love this shrub Lulu, and I really wanted one for my yard, but being a willow it wants lots of water and we are a rather dry climate most of the time so I had to prune it from my wish list. :cry:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Grannygardener » Mar 11, 2009 10:33 am

I have a ditch that runs along the back of my property and that bush would probably
thrive back there. Another touch of colour that's always welcome. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Eeyore » Mar 11, 2009 10:35 am

It would probably work very well there Edie. I'm so envious!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lulu » Mar 11, 2009 12:46 pm

Edie, a few years back, I got threee "standard" japanese willows, at Canadian Tire, and trimmed them,,sorta like a hedge: Here's a pic early in the season, after they were planted, they are to the right and front of the shed; don't have a later one to show how much they filled out; they were put there, to hide the junk, by the fence. It is one of the few things the new owners left alone, but they don't trim them into shape, they're just allowed to grow bushy.

They're my favorite shrub, cause they grow fast and are very pretty.
Attachments
shed-backyard.jpg
Lulu

Postby Grannygardener » Mar 11, 2009 2:10 pm

Now that is nice. We used to have Arctic Willow back there and it did beautifully for a long time.
Then all of a sudden the bushes started to die off one by one. We suspect that someone further up was dumping toxic materials in the ditch because others were having similar problems
It's been years since that happened and things are starting to grow back there again so I'm looking foreward to trying again.Love the soft look of the pink. Can. Tire huh. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Lulu » Mar 11, 2009 2:34 pm

Most of the garden centres have them, but, have only ever seen the "standards" @ CT; most are around !14.95, for either type.

Walmart has smaller bushy/shrubby things, for the best price,,usually around $6.97. Those are a really a good buy, since they grow so fast. Which ever you choose, you'll be happy with it, as long as you plant it, where it won't matter how big it gets, or, if not,,make sure to keep pruning it; they are very forgiving.
Lulu

Postby Grannygardener » Mar 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Thank you Lulu, you sure are a font of information. Will keep my eye open for when they start to appear. Missed a good buy on Holly at Wally's last year. Saw it, picked it up , put it back and when I decided that I really did want it, it was gone. Edie
Grannygardener

Postby Sally » Mar 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Kelly
I am so glad you added 'leftovers' as I was lax in posting this year but I
always found time to look in and enjoy the soup. What beautiful pics. I add
my thanks to you and Lyn for the great job you do. I missed R and here are
some roses etc.
Sally

Hips on a wild rose behind our back fence. I knew as soon as I saw them
we were in for a long winter. Two weeks after this pic was taken the bush
was completely bare.

Here are 2 pics of 'Frontenac'. This little rose is amazing.

Sally

Postby kelly_m » Mar 12, 2009 9:04 am

I like your Frontenac....have to get me some explorers this year, I think!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Gallery