Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Little Nubbies

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: Little Nubbies

Postby kelly_m » Mar 18, 2009 10:15 am

Oh Smitty....I'm so glad my little nubbie sent you back into your dream world!!! :twisted:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 18, 2009 3:47 pm

K, congrats on your nubbies...it's a wonderful wonderful sight to see!

Now: very shortly, you'll hear/see on tv that Victoria BC did its annual Flower Count and you'll be envisioning the millions of flowers. I was going to count mine too...and then I read some of the sites about this and learned that it is truly all about nose-rubbing of folks who must look at heaps of snow and shiver indoors with the heat ON.

And I don't think that is one bit funny.

SO: when you hear about the huge numbers of flowers, let me tell you that ONE large Heather bush in bloom, counts as 2,000 flowers. Just imagine how many blossoms on one ornamental cherry tree...and the streets are lined with them. (No flowering trees in bloom, HERE.)

I hope this makes y'all feel better.

I went outside to look at mine, my Heather...and I almost froze to death in the strong icy cold wind gusts...heck, almost steady wind. I do not have any snow (today - tomorrow might be different) and it is 8.9 degrees...but that wind is coming straight off the ocean and it is covered with white horses gallopping to shore.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Eeyore » Mar 18, 2009 3:56 pm

The fact that they can grossly exaggerate the flower count is NOT going to make up for tha fact that flowers are actually in bloom in Victoria! :x
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Laura » Mar 18, 2009 4:02 pm

Kelly . . I was so :mrgreen: about your nubbies I went out lookin for any I might have since some snow has melted away from the house . . . I found several tulips and a couple crocuses . . . . am now doing the dance of joy along with you . . . :D
Laura

Postby Scrapinthehat » Mar 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Ok so I had to go outside and see for myself.....I'm doing the happy dance here too! Growth on the tree peony, daylilys, penstemon, speedwell, mums, strawberries, campanula....lots of eye candy. Yahoo! Spring IS on the way. Some of the yard is still under 2 feet of snow, but I will ignore those parts for now. :wink:
Scrapinthehat

Postby Sheikea » Mar 18, 2009 9:29 pm

Lyn I'm coming with you and Smitty some place tropical..LOL.... :lol:
Sheikea

Postby Smitty » Mar 18, 2009 9:47 pm

Eeyore wrote:The fact that they can grossly exaggerate the flower count is NOT going to make up for tha fact that flowers are actually in bloom in Victoria! :x

ditto that!!!! :mrgreen:
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby pieter » Mar 22, 2009 9:57 am

I know this is not necessarily fair, BUT, out West I have more than just nubbies coming up... yet I figure we're about 2-3 weeks behind where most plants were this time last year, which in itself was late... MAN it's been a cold winter here...
Attachments
Resize of P1000523.JPG
Resize of P1000523.JPG (45.39 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."
pieter

Postby kelly_m » Mar 22, 2009 10:36 am

That's okay.....We're about 2-3 weeks AHEAD of most years!!!!

Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby joan w » Mar 22, 2009 11:37 am

Checked the gardens yesterday and many bulbs are showing their leaves, some 3-4" high.
Can't wait to see how last year's planting turns out.

spring.jpg
Image Image
joan w

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Gallery