Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

just beginning to clean my small herb bed

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

just beginning to clean my small herb bed

Postby Trailblaze1 » May 03, 2009 9:55 am

I was out there early this morning, still in my PJ's. I began to inspect my lovely, 7-year old sedum, when I noticed that it was quite shaded. Now what could be blocking the sun, let me see......if I move around to this side, you can see DH's influence.

Someday I am going to write a book about the many garden spots he has destroyed on me, with his shenanigans. He calls it : "just doing what needs to be done, and never knowing where Diane has suddenly planted a little piece of garden in the middle of 'his' traffic zone.

another example: (after 6 years of losing plants to his construction boots, I put this little lamium, given to me by a neighbour last spring, behind the house .....what could be safer?, I thought.

and later, DH decided that a new birdfeeder was needed, to keep out squirrels from the post-in-the-ground one we had before. So he bought one, and strung it up, here: (this is what our kitchen window looks out upon)

Do you see the little card in the ground in front of my lamium? it's where he was walking back and forth to ingeniously string the new feeder, with a clever pulley system.

So my question to you all is: how does a person reconcile living with a construction expert (who hates gardens, cuz he's colorblind and can't distinguish flowers from leaves)......with a love of all things, growing everywhere?

I plant things where I think he'll never go. He usually has nothing to do with birdfeeders either, birds are my hobby. But somehow, every now and then he gets a lightbulb moment, .......and there goes another garden, or plant, stomped into the ground with his big construction boots.

Surprisingly, this lamium looks like it's still alive! (sorry for the rant.....it happens every year, or every new garden spot I create). How many more acres do we need? We have 7 now, but much of it is under the pond.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Re: just beginning to clean my small herb bed

Postby Sheikea » May 03, 2009 10:29 am

I would jsut kill myhubby if he stepped in my beds.When the weather gets nice and the flowers start to grow the whole family even the dog knwos to stay out. :lol:
Sheikea

Re: just beginning to clean my small herb bed

Postby Trailblaze1 » May 03, 2009 10:49 am

His argument, in his own defense, is that I don't label my garden areas enough. This is true. I tend to just look for a barren patch and plant something in it. I wanted to have something pretty to see while I'm looking out the kitchen window, with my hands in the sink. I thought a spot of white might be much prettier than this old tree stump.

We could take down the large stump, but birds and squirrels absolutely love it, use it well.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Return to Garden Gallery