Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Trillium

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Trillium

Postby Durgan » May 08, 2009 7:43 pm

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?Trillium 8 May 2009 Trillium
Ontario Trilliums normally bloom during May. Most Trilliums are white but can be red and everything in between. The colour is determined by the type of soil they grow in. These flowers are not rare but most Ontario residents frown on people who pick them.

A white trillium serves as the emblem and official flower of the Canadian province of Ontario.

Picking the flowers of Trillium can seriously injure the plant. The three leaves below the flower are the plant’s only food source and a picked trillium may die or take many years to recover.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Re: Trillium

Postby joan w » May 09, 2009 8:13 am

Such welcoming sights. I love trilliums. They can be transplanted.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Aigle » May 09, 2009 1:48 pm

Wonderful photos! Trilliums are one of my favourites. I remember my mom yelling at me when I was verry little (5ish?)and picked one from her garden (she then explained why)...they've always felt a little sacred to me since.
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby Durgan » May 09, 2009 4:47 pm

Aigle wrote:Wonderful photos! Trilliums are one of my favourites. I remember my mom yelling at me when I was verry little (5ish?)and picked one from her garden (she then explained why)...they've always felt a little sacred to me since.

Me to. I always felt the trillium was sacred. But there is a valid reason for not picking the flowers.
Durgan

Postby Amigo Lynn » May 19, 2009 9:29 am

yes Trilliums are Ontario Flower and it is against the law to pick our flower. If you are caught you will be fined.

You can buy them at a garden centre or nursery.

I have white and red in my burm and they look great.
Amigo Lynn

Postby shergardens » May 19, 2009 10:48 pm

I was thrilled to find them in my new yard, here I have the red ones and they are exceptional. My husband had a big laugh at me as I was ever so carefully removing the goutweed from their beds and working around them as if they were sacred. Then we went exploring in the wilderness behind our property. I was amazed to find the forest floor covered with them, there are thousands there. Along with the trilliums I have counted at least 12 different fern varieties, trout lilies and some stunning jack in the pulpit plants. I also suspect that there are lady slippers on one side too. Thankfully this area is not scheduled for development and is really inaccessable unless you own property facing onto it. Nature has given me a spectacular garden and I'll be making sure that it stays just the way it is.
shergardens

Return to Garden Gallery