Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

A Robin Story

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: A Robin Story

Postby countrychic » May 19, 2009 12:49 pm

And the last photo I managed to snap before they jumped out the nest! A quick move to get the dog inside the house, while the parent Robins called their young ones and hid them in the shrubs in the garden.
countrychic

Postby countrychic » May 19, 2009 12:54 pm

A SAD ENDING!

This morning, a day after all the young ones had ventured into the big world, 2 huge black crows flew into our garden and managed to fly off with one young baby! We ran outside and chased the other one away. The parent Robins were calling and attacking the crow, but the size of these crows is too big. I took my children to school, and when I returned, the crows were back, and the robins were screeching and calling and it was pandemonium in our back yard. I chased the crows away. Soon after, I realised it was quiet outside. No more parent robins calling, no more baby chirps, no more crows. Either the parents took the babies somewhere else, or they were all taken by the crows and the parents have flown away.
So sad! This hasn't happened the previous years. Wondering if mommy will be back to her nest to lay the 2nd batch? What an awful day for the parents!
countrychic

Postby Smitty » May 19, 2009 2:55 pm

how sad an ending to your saga.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Grannygardener » May 19, 2009 5:45 pm

This is so sad. Had something similar happen many years ago only the culprets were Blue Jays and they even tore the nest apart.Have disliked them ever since ,pretty as they are. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Eeyore » May 20, 2009 12:16 am

Oh, that's sad CC. Hopefully they'll be back to raise a second brood.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby neng_perea » May 28, 2009 3:48 am

Is really nice from the beginning seeing the Robins with their babies and how happy the Robins parents.. but...I wish they still out there some where just hiding...I hope..
neng_perea

Previous

Return to Garden Gallery