Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

A few mid May blooms.

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

A few mid May blooms.

Postby earwig » May 16, 2009 9:17 am

Click the photos for a larger picture.
The star of my spring garden (magnolia) is starting to fade, and the tulips and daffys are beginning to take second place to some other spring flowers.

Forget-me nots are blooming in drifts of blue and pink throughout the garden but I liked this little one that wanted to be alone among the bricks.
img_1433.jpg

Another flower that is blooming everywhere in various colours are violets.
img_1449.jpg

The cushion spurge has just started getting bright.
img_1419.jpg

The ground phlox is covered in blooms.
img_1417.jpg

So many flowers are brightening up the garden now and I have to go to work this afternoon. I would prefer to just hang around the garden.
img_1436.jpg
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Re: A few mid May blooms.

Postby Northpine » May 16, 2009 10:27 am

What an adorable gardening lady! I love it!
I think I would like to try to make one like it. I have a stand I picked up at a yard sale. So far I've only used it to make Halloween people. I think a garden lady would be a much better use of it. Oh, now I can't wait to get started on it!
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby earwig » May 16, 2009 8:20 pm

I am glad you like her Marie. I got the idea from a posting on another garden forum. She dressed hers accordingly as the season changed.

Just made her a week ago so her skirt will take a while to fill in as the sedum in it is not all that fast. It was fun to make and the hole in her hat allows me to add fresh flowers to the water I have under it.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 18, 2009 10:09 am

Hi Betty:
It is nice to see your very artistic approach to your spring beauties.
I seem to barely have time to catch a passing shot.
We are rather enjoying the rainy day after a very busy weekend(and month)!
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Trailblaze1 » May 19, 2009 8:11 am

Betty, I always adore your sense of whimsy! The flowers are gorgeous, but the whimsical lady is such fun! Do you have a dress form under her?
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby earwig » May 20, 2009 5:24 am

Trailblaze1 wrote:Do you have a dress form under her?

No I don't. But never wanting to throw anything away as one never knows when one might be able to use it, comes in good stead when I want to create things.

I filled a hollow pottery type column with crushed rock, stuck a old soup whisk - commercial kichen size through heavy wire fencing ( shoulders and arms) and into the column for the frame work.

I then shaped mesh from an rusty old fan protecter ( I had been using as a soil shifter) around the bottom and top. She is a busty woman so the mesh would not close after packed with earth so used some string I had on hand to fasten her top. I had placed knee highs over the "arms" and "head" and filled with soil as well as the skirt and bodice mesh parts.

As I thought the arms would dry out quickly I decide not to plant them so threw some old burlap over her shoulders as a shawl type covering over them.

Old garden gloves for hands, and the tips of rubber boots for toes stick out under the skirt.

The hat was a early hypertufa attempt which someone told me looked more like a hat than any flower container they had ever seen so therefore, I needed someone to wear it and she was created for the sole purpose to wear the hat!

I have two more whisks that are just laying in my " never know when might be useful pile" so no telling what I will use them for.
Betty
earwig

Postby savona » May 20, 2009 9:36 am

Lovely pictures of some of your spring beauties Betty. Your garden lady is charming..savona
savona

Postby Eeyore » May 20, 2009 10:30 am

Beautiful Betty! And Matilda is delightful and very creative. I can't wait to see photos as she "grows"!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Garden Gallery