Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

A few May shots

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

A few May shots

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 18, 2009 10:43 am

I have had a few jaunts through the garden each day, but not always with camera in hand. I did make a point of capturing a few things.
We were heartened to see that our Darmera palmata has finally bloomed....it is a funny little pondside plant that flowers before the leaves unfurl. I am always glad and surprised to see that it has survived.
Darmera_bloom_cr_mid2629.jpg

There are tulips popping out everywhere....it does seem that they don't seem to lnow which are supposed to be early or late. 'Akebono' is touted as a late tulip, but always seems on the early side with us. It is such a pretty tulip!
tulipAkebono_crop_mid2623.jpg

This stripey one seems to be "nameless"!
tulip_dbleYellow_mid.jpg

Our Magnolias were lovely this year, with some blooming for the first time, and others still to bloom a bit later.
Magnolia_SprSnow_crop_mid2641.jpg
Magnolia 'Spring Snow'

We are eagerly waiting for more Rhododendrons, we have had lots of bloom on the early species types....poor little 'April Rose' was fantastic and then got frost bitten.
That happens quite often with some of the very early bloomers.
AprilRose_mid2621.jpg

The 'PJM' are in full bloom and color is showing on a variety of early big leaf types.
I will have to go on a "record-keeping" walk soon!
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Re: A few May shots

Postby earwig » May 18, 2009 1:37 pm

Beautiful shots Sharon. The rain today is making things grow right in front of my eyes. Hopefully June will not be so busy for you. You need time just to sit and enjoy your beautiful garden.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi Betty:
You need to come up and give me lessons in sitting! We do have the nice sturdy bench!
You must need some excuse for a jaunt.

We have a two session garden course starting this Thursday. County Recreation for Antigonish Co. sponsors these each year. It isn't too onerous a task, and they are held here at our garden. Blackflies may be the biggest plague!
Maybe we can dig out wine and no one will notice the flies!
tulips_muscari_Oak_mid2636.jpg

Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

Sharon Bryson

Postby earwig » May 18, 2009 3:18 pm

Sharon Bryson wrote:Hi Betty:
You need to come up and give me lessons in sitting! We do have the nice sturdy bench!
You must need some excuse for a jaunt.

LOL, I really prefer the hammock, I have been thinking of it but with one thing and another, I just haven't found a free day, although today I seem at loose ends - maybe as I planned on housework and it does not hold my attention like gardening.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby dawnm » May 18, 2009 10:17 pm

WOW! Your rhodo is gorgeous!! How do you care for rhodo's and what is the sun exposure? I have a few that were already growing when we bought the house, but the flowers are not as profuse as yours. In fact, a few bushes don't even have buds this year.
dawnm

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 19, 2009 1:23 am

Sharon,

So much color in your garden already! We are very slow here on the Prairies, in fact, my bedding plants are all in the kitchen right now, escaping from a possible frost.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Lulu » May 19, 2009 5:51 am

Beautiful,,as usual, Sharon! Thanks for the pick me up!

I do have a question, concerning rhodo's though; I have considerably less buds this week, than I had, when the snow first left.

What's your guess, Sharon,,desiccation or Thumper? There is no "evidence", on the ground, at all. Have never had this happen before?
Lulu

Postby Trailblaze1 » May 19, 2009 8:07 am

Very lovely flower show! Thanks for the cheer!

as for sitting, you need to get yourself one of these: it makes sitting a whole lot less boring, :D

Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 19, 2009 9:16 am

Your rhodo is gorgeous!! How do you care for rhodo's and what is the sun exposure?

Dawn.....This rhodie is a very early "small-leaf" type, and is always totally covered in bloom. It is a "cousin" of the very hardy & popular PJM, but blooms a week or so earlier.
It is in almost full sun, as are many of our rhodies. The majority of small leaf forms tolerate and appreciate full sun.
Some of the large-leaf forms may need a bit more shade.
These requirements are very contingent upon the variety of rhodie and the area where you live.
Here in NS our summers are not the hottest on earth, so many can tolerate full sun. The winter/spring sun exposure can often be more bothersome than summer.
Flower "profusion" is more pronounced on the small leafed types than the large leafed ones.
Flower buds are formed in mid-late summer .....water and food are necessary for good bud-set. A happily growing plant should set flowers reasonably well, but some years are definitely better than others.
Where is your garden?

Lulu....I have no idea where the buds would go....most animals don't seem to bother much in the spring. Grouse are known to eat azalea buds in winter.
I guess if bigger animals were about, you would notice.

Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

- D.H. Lawrence

Sharon Bryson

Postby dawnm » May 19, 2009 9:52 pm

Sharon,

My plant hardiness zone is 6A, Hamilton, Ontario. I live at the foot of the Niagara Escarpment and my backyard garden is sloped facing north, with several tall maple trees. So my rhodos are in the shade and get morning and evening sun. Although in early spring, before the leaves emerge from the maples, they receive full sun.

What type of feeding do they like. They are the large leaf variety, sorry that's all I know!
dawnm

Next

Return to Garden Gallery