Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Tulip Miracles...from Liz

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Tulip Miracles...from Liz

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 23, 2009 1:40 pm

Tulips give me a lot of delight...and since I am dumb enough to plant lots of them in my ceramic pots I then must live with months (yes, in a long cold spring) of frustration because I can't plant my annuals in the pots till the tulips are done.

I like the Parrots, very much, and this one is just a delight to me.

The next two pictures are of the same tulips. When they first begin to open, they are a lovely yellow, a soft yellow. Then, definite white stripes appear and I marvel at these.

And then one day I become aware that the upper portion has turned this rose pink colour, which gradually spreads down to the bottom of the flower.

I know some grower is very proud of his or her work, but I honestly think God had a hand in this miracle of colour!
Attachments
parrot tulip May 22.jpg
white and yellow tulips.jpg
yellow & white striped tulips turn rosy pink.jpg
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: Tulip Miracles...from Liz

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 23, 2009 4:43 pm

Great pics Liz.
The Chameleon is very interesting. They blush!
Akebono behaves a bit like that, with different places having green or red streaks over the period of bloom.
Here's a no-name
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi Sharon...what a glorious time of year Spring is, and of course, I mean when it's warm enough that everybody has some flowers to look at!

Chameleon - is that the proper name? I also have a leafed plant, green/white, with pink/red, my daughter calls it Stink plant, but it's proper name is Chameleon also...and I can't smell any stink. Speaking of which, do Salvia smell of cat urine? I've never bought before and needed some for an effect...got a whiff and Oh Boy! They have been where no cats can "go."

I have your pretty no-name...in fact I have quite a few of yours...but nothing like the amount of space you have to show them off in...it is just as well, frankly, I am wearing out

Those green and whites of yours, me too...!.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lulu » May 23, 2009 9:55 pm

Beautiful show, Liz! Don't normally like yellow,,but,, I'd love both yours and Sharon's !

What do you do with the tulips once they're finished and replaced by the summer flowers?
Lulu

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 23, 2009 10:46 pm

[color=#0000FF]I leave in ground. But, I do much much in planters, and I oversummer these in a raised bed, and move to the garden in autumn, after a liberal dosing of bone meal as they die down, to feed the bulbs..

My PLAN this year is to not buy more in Autumn, just to replant, bone meal for food, again when I replant..and pray a whole bunch[ I do get early springs here, I do get cold and sometimes (this year) LONG cold springs so it is worth the effort it takes and it is, a lot of effort. Spring is my favourite season and I work hard at it.

If someone would please stop Sharon Bryson from showing more Spring beauties, my life would be a lot easier!!! (but not as colourful!...I am partial to Sharon Bryson! and she knows it.)/color]
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Eeyore » May 23, 2009 11:43 pm

Thank you both for the spring beauties! I FINALLY have Tulip bloomsof my own!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » May 24, 2009 1:03 am

Eeyore wrote:Thank you both for the spring beauties! I FINALLY have Tulip bloomsof my own!

ditto that!
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby neng_perea » May 24, 2009 2:52 am

Those Tulips are pretty Liz.. very beautiful.
neng_perea

Postby earwig » May 24, 2009 6:53 am

Lizcordysmum wrote:I can't plant my annuals in the pots till the tulips are done.

Beautiful colours Liz. I planted some tulips in pots last fall and am very happy with the results.

Like you, I was regretting the fact when I wanted the pots for some annuals.

What I plan to do next year ( as now I want even more tulips in pots) is find some plastic flower pots that will serve as inserts inside my pots. Plant the tulips in them so I can store in the ground when through and have annual ones ready to replace in the pot.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 24, 2009 8:59 am

[quoteChameleon - is that the proper name? ...........Speaking of which, do Salvia smell of cat urine? [/quote]
Vesey's has one called "Antoinette" which is also called the Chameleon tulip.....likely the same one.
Salvias(perennial) have a rather rank, musky smell....I guess I never equated it to cat pee!
Black Spruce is worse!

Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Next

Return to Garden Gallery