Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Tulip Miracles...from Liz

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: Tulip Miracles...from Liz

Postby Aigle » May 24, 2009 10:04 am

I love that chameleon like tulip. Although I am neither a big pin or yellow fan, I find with flowers that all colours are good.

I've written down "Antoinette" as a must look at for next fall. This year I am going to agressively feed my bulbs since one of my favourite no-names (deep burgundy with a bright yellow edging at the tops of the petal) are only abut 2/3 the size they were last year. Still healthy, but I'll enhance nature a bit when they have finished.
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Betty, why didn't I think of that? plastic insert...hmmmm. Oh it is frustrating now to have to wait for Autumn...there is no rest for the wicked!

Yes, Aigle...a nice sprinkling of bone meal...bulb food...now as they are dying back, good gardeners dig this into the soil a bit....do this with all the spring bulbs.

Sharon, yes, "Antoinette" is "her" name. I hope they do the same thing next year.

Salvia...let's see...I have two kinds and it was the small stuff that REEKED. No Black Spruce here, but folks on the corner have juniper at fence, and dear Lord...the smell is enough to make you hold your breath while you walk the dogs...post office also has juniper and same thing...perhaps some folks cannot smell this? Like some folks cannot stand the forced narcissus odour.

Thank you Neng_perea..I am glad you enjoyed them! And Eeyore, and Smitty, I am so very glad for YOU. It is HIGH time.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby jl19595 » May 27, 2009 10:21 pm

Newbie here. The tulips are lovely. A couple of you indicated you planted them in the pots last fall and then?? where do you store them over winter??
thanks
JF
jl19595

Postby neng_perea » May 28, 2009 4:14 am

Liz, it is really nice to have something different like your Tulips very unique, it is Miracles I think you have a Garden Angel over there..
neng_perea

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 28, 2009 12:43 pm

jl19595, I live in Zone 7-8, so pots get planted up in the autumn, go into the old wood garage in the dark and cold for the winter and come out in early spring for daylight. They are the ordinary plant in the ground bulbs, not the forcing kind.

Neng...actually, I DO have a Garden Angle...she is about 2 feet tall and is presently buried under some ivy at the back of the garden! Thanks for the reminder...must dig her out!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby neng_perea » May 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Im glad I mention that to you...I hope that I receive a Miracles too......and I believe every one has Angels...with out my garden I not sure..sorry but..Thanks.
neng_perea

Postby agedgardener2 » May 28, 2009 7:44 pm

Liz I'm lusting after some tulips like yours.They are so lovely.I've always stuck with Darwins as they last for many years in my garden.I .fertilize them heavily I use the bone meal too.Loverly loverly JOY
agedgardener2

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 29, 2009 2:55 pm

And, Joy...today is the day I finally say goodby till next year, to my tulips...there is ONE Darwin at the back of the garden in much shade, trying to hang on, and the rest are just hanging on to shreds of their former glory.

Maybe this autumn I will have a grain of common sense and not go to such excesses...planting pots is easy...final end of season is NOT. One small box to over summer in...and brilliant me filled it last autumn with CUTTING spring flowers...

I think I have easily many hundred of Bluebells to dig out and discard. No one wants these, everybody has these...and if my right wrist doesn't heal up (over use) fast, my short term memory will kick in, and I won't remember where I have so many. DANG, I need me an ESTATE, and a team of gardeners!

(now I know why I was so impressed with the many Bluebells growing along the roadsides, when I moved here!!! People toss them!)
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby savona » May 29, 2009 4:54 pm

Liz your tulips are lovely in all stages and Sharon's tulip is perfection too. Mine are blooming quite nicely here now. And low and behold I have 2 iris with buds on them in the garden, I think this is a miracle :o :D ..Jean
savona

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 29, 2009 8:23 pm

Savona, it IS a lovely Miracle ...absolutely SPLENDID ...I know you too come from the land of Springtime, and I know full well the weather where you are now...Tulips are definitely a miracle and not something ever taken for granted.

It is just about time for you to give me a head's up when you are posting the inside of your greenhouse....and I will drool all over my keyboard AGAIN

I am wishing you a glorious summer of bountiful gardening!

Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Gallery