Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Rhodies are popping

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Rhodies are popping

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 24, 2009 9:23 am

The rhododendron flowers are coming into bloom fast and furious.
It is a daily job to see if we can figure out "who's who".
We are also discovering "who" has had winter damage to the flower buds. That is often difficult to judge until actual bloom time.
One very pleasant surprise came with a ten year old plant, that we cannot recall having noticed before.

While we are on a peachy theme....there are a couple of "Cat's Pajama's" crosses that are quite pretty. One is quite "doubly".

We have a series of yellow blooming rhodies from the same cross, the first of which has opened in the last day or two. It is a very pale yellow. Some of its later siblings are a bit brighter.

Surprises are the order of the "day" ( or month!). This plant has been with us since 1995, and I think this may be the first year it has had significant bloom.
It is a pale greenish-yellow with just a touch of burgundy in the throat.

Another '95 vintage plant is this "candy-stripe" one. We have had it cloned. so have both the "mother" and a copy.
There are lots of other pinkish red blooms as well.
The "yak" hybrids bloom early, and most start with wonderful color in the bud stage.....most will fade to almost white as they age.

One of my favourites is a Henry's Red x pachysanthum cross....this plant is early and has quite nice color, and interesting foliage(from the father!)

Another "pink" with a picotee effect. The bloom is very similar to the one above, but they come from very different crosses.
Guess that gets us going!
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Re: Rhodies are popping

Postby crunkpunch » May 24, 2009 10:50 am

Wow, those are gorgeous!!
-- Shannon & her pug Isis
www.shannonbeaton.info
crunkpunch

Postby Smitty » May 25, 2009 1:08 am

WOW!!!!! beauties Sharon
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Lulu » May 25, 2009 4:45 am

Very, very impressive, and beautiful, as usual, Sharon! Soft spot for rhodies here!

Your knowledge of all things "gardening" has always been enjoyed and admired, but, that you are able to provide a particular plant's lineage, just boggles my mind!

I can't even keep the tags strait!
Lulu

Postby earwig » May 25, 2009 7:22 am

They are as lovely as always Sharon. If I diodn't have so much to do, I would be on your dooorstep today for a first hand look.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 25, 2009 8:37 am

Hi Folks:

Betty: There is bound to be a day when you have very little to do!

Lulu: Keeping things straight has its challenges....we only do a "marginal" job. We only hope when a plant takes our attention, there is still a tag in the ground or on the plant. They seem to get misplaced regardless.

This is the Japanese Royal Azalea...Rhododendron schlippenbachii. The many deciduous azaleas are just starting.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

Sharon Bryson

Postby Sheikea » May 25, 2009 9:47 am

Absolutely beautiful.I just bought a pjm rhodo and I am sure looking forward to the blooms next year.At least i hope anyways that it will make it. :)
Sheikea

Postby Eeyore » May 25, 2009 9:56 am

Beautiful Sharon! You've got some really nice crosses there.

Off the many, many seeds you sent me a few years back I have 3 surviving plants. All Macronulatum. I have recently moved them to an area that gets more sunlight. They are quite small yet and no flower buds. 2 have green leaves and one has red. I am quite anxious to see what they produce but it may be a couple of years yet. :D
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Leash » May 26, 2009 9:29 am

Rhodie envy here!! Absolutely gorgeous Sharon. I'd love to see the whole impact that you see! I used to try and amend my soil to grow them but didn't have much luck. Always lackluster. Those colours would just be breathtaking. How many plants do you have on your property if you don't mind me asking?
Alicia
Leash

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 26, 2009 2:04 pm

How many plants do you have on your property if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Alicia: I'm afraid we cannot venture a guess as to how many rhodies we have.....too many! ..........Hundreds, but I don't know how many hundreds.
They represent the good, the bad and the ugly.
Many should have been relegated to the compost pile long ago.

Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

- D.H. Lawrence

Sharon Bryson

Next

Return to Garden Gallery