Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

My garden "helper" or NOT!

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

My garden "helper" or NOT!

Postby Leash » May 28, 2009 4:02 pm

Just thought I'd share a pic of who helps (or mostly hinders) me in the garden these days. I love the rain but can't help cringing when I see my 5 month old Great Pyr (all 80 lbs of him) covered in mud, come bounding up for some love. My garden also now has a very ugly electric fence (temporary until we can build permanent) around it thanks to Sid and his love of digging in the mud!
Alicia
Just in case you can't tell, he's usually pure white!
Sid in the mud May 28, 2009.jpg
Leash

Re: My garden "helper" or NOT!

Postby earwig » May 28, 2009 5:05 pm

Oh, he is still a beautiful pup.
You just have to teach him to only dig out the weeds.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby kelly_m » May 28, 2009 5:48 pm

He is a pretty pup!! And I can see what's going on in his head.

"What?????"
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby cyd170 » May 28, 2009 11:40 pm

What a great looking helper Alicia, and he sure looks like he enjoys it! Mine is 100+ lb black lab, so at least he doesn't show the dirt as much! I like Betty's idea, teach him to dig out the weeds! Oh if it were only that easy...
Cyndi
Zone 2b or 3a in a good year!
cyd170

Postby Smitty » May 29, 2009 7:09 am

oh he is adorable!!
glad my ' non-helpers' only weigh in at 10 lbs each :)
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Aigle » May 29, 2009 7:42 am

LOL. Yeah...he't trying to figure out how to evade the towel and roll around onsomething he wants to...like the sofa, your bed, a light coloured rug!

Ya gotta love them....Seriously, you really gotta ! Any other response is taking the road to madness! :)
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby Laura » May 29, 2009 7:44 am

What a big handsome helper you've got there .... now does he go in and roll on your bed in that condition ? ...lol I'd love to see a picture of that !!
Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 29, 2009 2:58 pm

He's BEAUTIFUL! yes, I know I don't have to clean him...but he is, he really is...80 lbs (so far!) of pure love and HELP!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby savona » May 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Sid is a great looking boy, even with a muddy coat. You need to buy him a sheep or two to keep him busy and out of the garden...lol..Jean
savona

Postby Leash » May 31, 2009 12:28 am

Thanks all. We definitely do love him. He's the most laid back sweet dog around! He's so gentle with the kids and protects our cattle and chickens from predators too so I can put up with the digging for all he does around here. ( Although teaching him how to dig just weeds would be fabulous for sure!)
I wanted him to come into the house all the time at first, but he wouldn't have it. He bonded very fast with our livestock and they are his first "family". It's really unbelievable the instincts this breed has as they were bred to protect livestock from predators all alone up in the Pyrenees mountains for days on end. He definitely has a mind of his own and I know he's thinking, "I don't need you telling me how to do my job, just relax!" He sleeps most of the day and patrols our property at night which is also what this breed is known for. We kept him inside as a small puppy for the winter as much as he would handle, but he was always sitting at the door wanting to go out and check up on things. He now cuddles up with the calves but still visits us in the house (when he's clean!!). And it's really amazing how fast he cleans up too. The coat just seems to sparkle not long after drying up.
Anyways, enough of me gushing about our Sid. I just can't say enough good about our boy!
I see many of you have garden helpers too! They are nice company to have around.
Alicia
Leash

Next

Return to Garden Gallery