Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Peter Rabbit in the Carrot Patch, and a BIG "Spider"

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Peter Rabbit in the Carrot Patch, and a BIG "Spider"

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 31, 2009 5:03 pm

Those are last year's carrots ...himself hopes they make seeds as they are heritage and he used the last of them up last year.

The spinach is this year's...I pray the weather cooperates, but is supposed to be hot weather spinach.

And the spider...she is made from beads and she moves about the garden and surprises one, frequently.
Attachments
Oh PETER!.jpg
Spidey Sense.jpg
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: Peter Rabbit in the Carrot Patch, and a BIG "Spider"

Postby Aigle » May 31, 2009 6:11 pm

LOVE the spider! GIven my hobby of spinning, I've always liked spiders and there was a time when people gave me all sorts of spider knick-knacks (Goth was in ) :)

What is that profuse pale lavender flower in the background? I don't recognize it which means it's probably a zone 7 or more plant but it sure seems happy!
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 31, 2009 7:19 pm

Goth didn't inspire me, getting tons of beads DID!

That absolutely gorgeous wonderful plant is called Wisteria and I keep mine to a huge cloud at one end of my back porch, and trailing across the porch roof over the steps.

As for zones, here you go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisteria_sinensis

(have never bought one yet that took many years to get blossoms. DID lose one in a zone 2a-2b tho. MINUS 50 C winters, for two weeks at a time (ongoing each month till Mud Season arrived.)
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Aigle » May 31, 2009 7:51 pm

*sigh*

Figures I liked it but didn't recognize it. I've had a wisteria in the front since 1999. Grows like a weed, never even thought of blooming. Tried to kill it once. it came back and has twice pulled down my letterbox. It's slowly working on ripping off my siding....but no blooms.

I think it scares the mailman. Pretty leaves at least, but I had hoped for the blooms.
---
Aigle

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 31, 2009 8:41 pm

um...you have to police the darn thing...never let it get into siding, it will rip it off eventually. It CAN lift roofs.

I don't know what to say...GET ANOTHER one, and better luck next time? I know our climates are different...wish some easterners with Wisteria would write in.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Aigle » Jun 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Hmmmm, how did I try to kill this wisteria? (let me count the ways)

For a couple of years, I just cut all the foliage back. Never let a runner survive. Then I gabe up and it got bushy again (no flowers).

The next time I sawed the main trunk off at the ground (about 3" thick for the main one) Painted it with undiluted Killex and also cut off all the runners.

It's back.

Face it, this wisteria DESERVES to live. I'm still handy with the secateurs and will chop off anything I think is getting too ambitious...but this is one tough plant and I respect it. My siding comes down frequently in any event, (needs replacing). It gets full east exposure on a hot street that will wilt/fry most lesser entities.

I may try to train it onto some sort of flexible structure (aircraft cabling) over my porch windows since I am not aloud most trees out from due to city by-laws (major water supply is under my road).

If it plays fair, I'll play fair... I;d just like a few flowers every now and then. :cry:
---
Aigle

Postby Lizcordysmum » Jun 02, 2009 1:03 pm

You are NOT describing a good habit for wisteria growing. Their job is to grow a good strong trunk, climb anything handy, especially a tree...and will, over many years, grow right into the tree's trunk and eventually can kill it...strangle it.

I too am a born pruner (I sometimes think I get too much satisfaction from this!) but you just could be cutting off flowering stems (wrong time for pruning.) I do prune the wisteria, but only very contrary growth This year's gently waving green stem will, by next year, be two-four feet of hard WOOD hiding behind the soffit...Wisteria also likes to grow in a direction IT chooses (no kidding) and it is hard to change its mind...I will tie it in direction I want growth in, and everything that comes from that "branch" tries to go the opposite way. Could make a career out of this plant, alone.

I appreciate the problems you have with city by laws, and water mains....

Wonder, have you checked out "Golden Chain" trees on the web? These do grow huge, here...don't know about there.

Do you "do" clematises?
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Aigle » Jun 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Your words have wisdom. I have to move a Mr. Twisty (corkscrew hazlenut) from the front and will re-evaluate.

There is a beautiful Viburnum about a block away from me. I'll look into it's rooting habits. My front is really really small though, since I am on a "major arterial road".

Back yard makes up for that lack though. :)
---
Aigle

Postby Eeyore » Jun 03, 2009 10:22 am

Liz, I was avoiding this thread for fear of the spider but I'm glad I looked. I wonder how big those Carrot roots are. :o

Aigle, there is a "Blue Moon" Wisteria that is hardy to zone 3....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lizcordysmum » Jun 03, 2009 2:04 pm

Eeyore, they aren't MY carrots, so I dassn't pull one up...I wonder if I am capable of pulling one up...maybe all tops and no roots??? I saw a lady bug on one feathery top tho...will leave a map for her/him? directing to the rosebushes.

Aigle...did you see Laura's contained garden on the chat side? Amazing!

And you have to move a Corkscrew anything? Could you please move it here? I think these are the most beautiful of plants, but too costly for me. I've only seen the corkscrew weeping willow...in a huge pot...lust, pure lust.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Next

Return to Garden Gallery