Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

More rhodies and a touch of June

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

More rhodies and a touch of June

Postby Sharon Bryson » Jun 02, 2009 4:27 pm

We have just entered the month of June, and have a strong wish that no more frost befalls us.
Here is a shot taken this morning.... from the back step.

Note the poor frosted rhodie on the upper right.
Here is another morning shot out front along the "gulley bed".
There are lots of replacement rhodies in bloom each day.....most are doing OK, with only the occasional one showing signs of having damage to the opening buds.
One of my favourites is an open pollinated seedling from Moonshot.....it has a very cute double calyx, starts out pinkish and ends up pure white.

Another "double calyx" plant is Invitation x Janet Blair from 1998.....quite a unique bit of colour on the outer calyx.

A few years ago we sent off cuttings from some of our yellow rhodies to be grown by VanVeen nursery. One that we got back has bloomed this year.

One of the interesting things about growing rhodies from seed is the surprise that show up. The cross that produced several yellow also produced this pink....we just call it the "pink608".
It is quite broad, but very dependable.

The garden has nice bright spots....these silly little double orange poppies just opened yesterday.

There are still primula....
We are going to have lots more colour as the many azaleas are just getting started.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Re: More rhodies and a touch of June

Postby Smitty » Jun 03, 2009 1:53 am

your gardens and knowledge always leave me in aw
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby earwig » Jun 03, 2009 6:35 am

So lovely Sharon, I am just back from a morning stroll through my garden. I noticed the other "yellow" rhodie I have is also going to be pink. I really like them but that yellow one of yours is really gorgeous, a perfect shade of yellow.

I swore I was not setting things out until after the full moon but after checking the long range forecast I started setting things out yesterday.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Sharon Bryson » Jun 03, 2009 9:20 am

leave me in aw

Smitty.....Does that mean we are "awful"??? :)
Betty.....remember what I was saying about seed-grown plants being a bit of a crap shoot?

This is a plant that almost every year will have winter damage...this year for some strange reason it suffered very little. Caroline x yak
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Smitty » Jun 03, 2009 10:46 am

LOL!!!! ofcourse not Sharon. ......gremlins took the 'e' off of awe on me.
wish I had your memory for plant names or at bare minimum the memory to put the dang tags in with the plants.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Lizcordysmum » Jun 03, 2009 2:12 pm

Moonshot can come and live here, any time...

Primulas here have been to a slugfest...amazing how they'll recover for next year, bless 'em.

The earlier rhodies and azaleas are kaput...heat yesterday was 36.9 degrees C...most ornamental trees now have brown blossoms...Wisteria is casting off her blossoms by the pail full. Poppies and peonies continue to be very shy...nice big buds. I have ONE rose, Winchester Cathedral, in bloom, and several irises making me happy. Unfortunately when taking pix of these two, I used the big viewer and chopped off half of them.

I think I could stroll about your gardens all day ...esp. if it is cool there! Keep up the good work, Sharon!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lulu » Jun 03, 2009 3:06 pm

Sharon,,everything looks amazing, as usual. It is always the best treat to view your pics, always colorful and cheery,, and they make me aspire to do better with mine! Both the growing, and the keeping of tags/names!

Thank you for sharing with us, Sharon,,it's made my day!
Lulu

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 06, 2009 9:50 am

Lovely pics from 'Rhodie Paradise', Sharon. It must make you happy every day this time of year!

Was thrilled to see the primula in bloom..they are never happy here.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Return to Garden Gallery