Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

A few phals

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

A few phals

Postby orchidguy » Jan 29, 2012 8:55 pm

Here are a few phals in bloom today. Thought I would share them. A few pics did not turn out, so will take pics of them again with natural sunlight.
phal1.JPG
phal2.JPG
phal3.JPG
phal4.JPG
orchidguy

Re: A few phals

Postby Lulu » Jan 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Very nice, Dan!
Lulu

Postby Smitty » Jan 30, 2012 12:33 am

Lulu wrote:Very nice, Dan!

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby B_BQ » Jan 30, 2012 8:46 am

They're lovely. I only have two: one has been blooming for several weeks but the other one is resting!
B_BQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jan 31, 2012 3:17 am

Those are amazing, Dan. Did you coax these into bloom yourself, or are they recent purchases?

I would love to grow orchids, but I don't think I have enough light. There is a huge bay window in the living room, but there is also a huge blue spruce in front of it!
DonnaZn2SK

Postby orchidguy » Jan 31, 2012 4:28 pm

Don't think I've bought an orchid in bloom for more than a decade now Donna. They are permanent fixtures in the house.
Phalaenopsis orchids are not too light demanding. They require about the same care as an african violet. They are not too fussy on their humidity levels either, so I think make a great houseplant.
orchidguy

Postby Northpine » Jan 31, 2012 6:32 pm

I agree with Dan. I have 2 phals on a shelf in the window in a north facing bedroom. One blooms reliably, the other not so much. Your bay window would probably be preferable for phals than where mine are, Donna. I would give them a try.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Lizcordysmum » Feb 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Almost bought a beaut today, but instead I chose an almost black dahlia a gift for husb. to say thank you, for his generous offer to drive years off his life to go get me a pup. You should have seen his eyes go round...He loved the dahlia!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby styric » Feb 22, 2012 4:46 pm

I was told by the local nursery that they required much more light than african violets to bloom. I wasn't too fussed and got two anyway, I figured they can just be pretty green leaves beside my blooming violets. They're growing new leaves so I'm thinking they're pretty happy!
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby Clyde212 » Feb 22, 2012 10:56 pm

styric wrote:I was told by the local nursery that they required much more light than african violets to bloom.!

That's funny...I have an African violet and a phal side by side in the same window. The orchid is currently sending up a flower stem and the violet has never flowered!
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

Next

Return to Garden Gallery