Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

A few phals

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: A few phals

Postby orchidguy » Mar 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Heidi,
Cymbidiums are a terrestrial orchid, so need a good all purpose potting mix to begin with. To this I add a bit of sand, some perlite, peat, and a good helping of organic matter (humus, compost....) and some well rotted manure.

They are not fed during the winter months, and I begin feeding mid March (next week to be exact ), except for watering with a weak fish emulsion and a very weak compost tea, over the dark days of winter, and are only watered when potting medium is dry to the touch. Next week, they will have their water increased. Almost everyone I know that grows orchids, uses a balanced fertilizer for their plants. I don't use chemical fertilizer on any plant here, because I feel using an organic fertilizer makes for a healthier and sturdier plant, with less "watery" and weak new growth. Also it is free. Thank goodness for the barns and coops

The light in the window that you are providing, is good, but they do need cooler night temps. to initiate budding. I found growing these beauties on the cooler side in general, just produces better/ stronger plants and flowers.

Dendrobiums are the most variable members of the orchid family. Some like it warm, some hot and others cool. Some need a dormancy, some don't. Some are deciduous and some are evergreen. Do you know what kind of bloom it has? If it is shaped more like a phal., then chances are it likes it warm and is evergreen.

Sorry I could not be more help to you Heidi
orchidguy

Postby Heidi S » Mar 18, 2012 5:40 pm

That's a big help Dan! I will repot the cymbidium asap to suit your recommendations. The window I have the plants in is a bit on the cool side despite being on the south side of the house. It is in the shadow of the neighbour's carport and doesn't get the heat of the room due to the bump out. So I will keep it there until the sun gets higher in the sky.

I am not sure of the dendrobium the label says 'dendrobium hybrid' only. So it will just be my mystery dendrobium for now. For that matter so is the cymbydium!

John, the greenhouse curator, has had these plants in bloom regularly so I will have to expect I can do it as well.

Will be living in suspense for a while now!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby styric » Mar 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Last year after a fight with hubby, he promised me roses but instead I picked up a very sick phal orchid with a broken leaf at Safeway for $3. I did some MAJOR root pruning (almost to death but it was a very rotted plant), superglued the leaf and repotted. She went dormant all winter.

I must have done something right, today the phal has a new leaf, and either two aerial roots or an aerial root and a spike (one of them is flattened at the tip, the other is round). I'm very pleased!
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby styric » Mar 29, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm 80% sure this beauty has a spike starting:

The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Previous

Return to Garden Gallery