Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Alphabet Soup ~ F ~ ....

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Alphabet Soup ~ F ~ ....

Postby Laura » Feb 21, 2012 6:50 am

Here I am to start the letter " F ".I hope I do not get a failing grade.I am enjoying the soup so far.So many great ingredients.

First an old stand-by.Great for some color and easy to grow,mine came over under the fence from next door but I claimed them and enjoy them.

Forget-Me-Not ....
100_5994pb.jpg

These I do not have in my garden but see them each spring on the trails and in the parks.

Fiddleheads ....
100B4961pb.jpg

This is a new plant for me,seems to take a lot of watering but so beautiful.

Fushia ....
DSC_1175pb.jpg

Laura

Re: Alphabet Soup ~ F ~ ....

Postby CdnChelsea » Feb 21, 2012 9:00 am

So far, I can only find one "F" flower for the soup.

Frittilaria
IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

A yellow Frittileria
IMG_0002.JPG

When I bought the Frittileria bulbs, they were wrapped with many layers of paper since the bulb has a pungent smell like a skunk. I planted Frittileria not only for the beautiful flower but for the ability to deter moles and voles in the gardens. Last Fall I looked and looked for more Frittileria but couldn't find any more. Such a shame. They are an unusual plant to see in late spring.
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby earwig » Feb 21, 2012 9:29 am

Laura,a failing grade!!!!! Only if A++++ is one. Forget-Me-Not is another of those plants that are allowed free reign in my garden for a number of reasons. I have never acquired a taste for Fiddle heads but do admire their beauty and the fact it means spring has arrived. Your Fuchsia blossom is beautiful.

CdnChelsea, I have been admiring your garden and I must get some Fritillaria. They are indeed a great bulb.

Some F's from me.
Fagus sylvatica[/b][/u] I bought this Copper Beech as a very small tree a couple of years ago but it is growing and I love it. A tad worried about the double top but waiting to see if one does take the lead before I prune one out.
Fagus sylvatica.jpg

Flax The blue of flax is so pretty and I keep hoping to have a huge drift of it. I was close one year but last year some had died out, I quess it is time to get a few more seeds.
flax.jpg

Fleeceflower Goes by a couple of other names too (persicaria or knotweed). It does need space and its roots go to China but not what I would call invasive, just huge!
Fleeceflower.jpg
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Smitty » Feb 21, 2012 10:50 am

fabulous F Flowers folks..and failing is not a word here Laura!

my F's

Hosta Fire and Ice

Soup F hosta fire and ice.JPG

Flaming Parrot Tulip

Soup F flaming parrot tulip.JPG

Fata Morgana
Soup F lily fata morganna.JPG
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Northpine » Feb 21, 2012 11:09 am

I only have 2 Fs for the soup.
Firstly, Fire and Ice hosta. Sorry Smitty, I have to show mine also. It is my favourite hosta. I took many of pictures of this little sweetie. I can see yours is younger.....but I'm sure you're going to love it also.

100_3614.JPG
Fire & Ice

Firestorm daylily is my other F. Most of the blooms didn't have as many petals as this one.

100_3635.JPG
Firestorm

Betty, I talked my sister into trying a fleeceflower in her garden. I think she'll be ecstatic if it achieves even a tenth of the size and beauty of yours!
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Smitty » Feb 21, 2012 12:09 pm

Oh...mine is going to be gorgeous when it grows up!!!!! only 3 years old and it's been moved once.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Clyde212 » Feb 21, 2012 12:17 pm

The frittilaria and and tulip are making me crave spring. That "Fire and Ice" hosta has nice sharp colours. Is it small? I love the fluffy "Fleech Flower" and the pretty blue of the Forget-me-Nots.

So I had to get creative to find 3 pictures to add so please "Bad me" for stretching the rules:twisted:
Daylily "Fire and Fog
Fire and Fog.jpg
"Facebook" profile pic
Facebook Profile pic.jpg
Facebook Profile pic.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
"Front" Flower bed
Front Bed.jpg

edited because I forgot to upload the photos..duh!
Last edited by Clyde212 on Feb 21, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

Postby savona » Feb 21, 2012 12:24 pm

I am determined to have some flax this year. I don't know if the seed I had before wasn't viable but even direct sowing didn't produce one plant.Here is hoping this year I will have some beautiful blue flax.
Attachments
flava daylily.JPG
flava daylily
flava daylily.JPG (87.06 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
fulva day lily.JPG
fulva daylily
fulva day lily.JPG (50.01 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
foxgloves.JPG
foxy foxgloves that self seeded
foxgloves.JPG (56.31 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
savona

Postby Sharon Bryson » Feb 21, 2012 3:05 pm

It is good to see lots of F's...especially good ole New Brunswick fiddleheads.
Betty....I have been yearning for a purple Beech for years... yours seems to be doing well.
The Fire'n Ice Hosta is very striking.

Here is a sampling of Fritillaria
fritillariaCollage.JPG

Forsythia...harbinger of spring
forsythia_front_mid467.jpg

Filipendula(Queen of the Prairie), of which I seem to have very few decent images! I admire these for their striking foliage as much as for bloom. We added a darker pink last year, so hope it will do OK.
filipendula_collage.JPG

Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Clyde212 » Feb 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Beautiful Forsythia Sharon! Mine always suckers and few blooms. Any secrets to share?

Clyde
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

Next

Return to Garden Gallery