Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Alphabet Soup ~ F ~ ....

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: Alphabet Soup ~ F ~ ....

Postby Sharon Bryson » Feb 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Beautiful Forsythia Sharon! Mine always suckers and few blooms. Any secrets to share?

Would the flowering stalks perchance get winter damaged? It is not uncommon for some varieties to get buds frozen anywhere above the snowline.
Other than pruning at the wrong time, I can't think why there wouldn't be flowers on the last years wood.
I try to remember to take out a bit of old wood every other year just after bloom is finished.
We have other plants which desperately need this treatment, but haven't had it, so are very big and out of control.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Clyde212 » Feb 21, 2012 8:23 pm

Sharon Bryson wrote:
Beautiful Forsythia Sharon! Mine always suckers and few blooms. Any secrets to share?

Would the flowering stalks perchance get winter damaged? It is not uncommon for some varieties to get buds frozen anywhere above the snowline.
Other than pruning at the wrong time, I can't think why there wouldn't be flowers on the last years wood.
I try to remember to take out a bit of old wood every other year just after bloom is finished.
We have other plants which desperately need this treatment, but haven't had it, so are very big and out of control.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will take a picture when it is in bloom and post it. Maybe I am not pruning enough. Clyde
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

Postby Eeyore » Feb 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Definately not a failure Laura! Love that shot of the Forget-me-Not.

Beautiful Fritillaria! Does the flower have a skunky smell as well?

Ha! Ha! Ha! Clyde. "Facebook Profile" is a real stretch for alphabet soup! :lol:

Here are the F's I have to toss into the pot....

Flore_Pleno.jpg
Flore Pleno - another gift from Neng

Fever_Few.jpg
Fever Few - A gift from Neng

Fasntasy.JPG
Fantasy Lily
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Big Smile » Feb 21, 2012 8:42 pm

Oh-h-h- so many beautiful Fs.
Never heard of Fire & Fog Daylily but its a beauty!!
I must get some Blue Flax again, I love blue flowers!!
And Fritileria is a must . I lost mine years ago.
I also have Fire and Ice Hosta but won't post it this time.
Fantasy Lily is very pretty,looks like a short plant?

Here are some of my Fs.
Attachments
Foxglove.jpg
Foxglove
FilipeFlower.jpg
Filpendula
close-up fireweed.jpg
I have Fireweed in my garden but this pic was taken in Alaska last summer.
Big Smile

Postby Lizcordysmum » Feb 21, 2012 11:20 pm

I LOVE the pictures, and I don't care how we "cheat"...I am really fond of Fritts, and have never bought one yet. SOB.
figgy Pudding.jpg
figgy Pudding.jpg (48.23 KiB) Viewed 928 times

I apparently have not mastered the place in line feature...so, I have Figgy pudding, with figs, fuchsia, and my first wonderful scent of lilacs.

The fuchsia bush gets cut back to about 2 inches, and does this every year....this one is Jim's. I hve a palest pink that I never cut back, and she just sprays out there.

The figs ARE delicious, and the Lilacs...well they are old fashioned, and I don't have to say another thing, right?
Attachments
Fuschia bush.JPG
first Lilacs May 18 2011.jpg
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Katherine » Feb 22, 2012 1:43 am

Wow, what pot o F's. Laura thank you for leading oFF, and you Fotos are Fantastic!

I grew Fritillaria meself this year, for the first time, and was quite pleased. It was the LAST bulb in the bin at Georama Growers...

fritillaria-imperialis-maxima-lutea_MG_5484.jpg

My Forcythia is an old bush that was just a few stems under Douglas fir trees, and I cut out the very old canes, watered it and after a few years its just gotten to be quite a show in the corner by the road to the river. It flowers on 2 and 3 year old wood, and not on very new or old wood, if that is any help at all.

Forcythia_MG_5450.jpg

And last but not least, this is the Fothergilla I have discussed earlier with Trish (our Closet Canuck). Love the bottlebrush blooms on this very nice shrub.

fothergilla_MG_0146.jpg

Iam just exhausted but I wanted to comment on some of the other plants here, will have to wait till tomorrow, but what a nice collection so far this year.

Kat
Katherine

Postby Puff10 » Feb 22, 2012 4:06 pm

Two F's in this one picture:Fagus sylvatica and Ferns
Attachments
IMG_0964b.jpg
Fagus sylva... and ferns
Puff10

Postby orchidguy » Feb 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Sorry for being so late for the soup, but had company since Saturday and they left this afternoon.
All the new pictures in the F category are pretty slim pickings, but here goes anyway.
Forsythia
Frittilaria, the orange, red and double's pictures did not turn out, and have never taken a photo of the F. pallida, or meleagris, but will this year.
Threw in a fuchsia and a fig
forsythia.jpg
frit.jpg
ff.jpg
orchidguy

Postby Smitty » Feb 24, 2012 10:57 am

that's the nice thing about Soup Dan..you can set it on back burner and add things to it forever :-)...lovely additions!!
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby MareE » Feb 25, 2012 2:42 pm

Right on, Smitty! Wish I could give a fiddlehead like our lovely Laura or a fig like Tante Liz and Dan. Finger-lickin' ingredients! ;o}

This is the first Soup into which haven't tossed Al's Four O'Clocks. [insert fuming frown] I did grow them, just neglected to take mug shots.

FRITTERS.jpg
First off, more Fritters as thickening agent. Didn't spot any Red Lily bugs on them thanks goodness.

FARMERS MARKET.JPG
And the 19th Avenue Farmers Market isn't a cheat
so much as a stretch, I reckon.;o}

FRONT GARDEN SIGN 2011.jpg
Couldn't believe we got a Front Yard Recognition
sign this Summer. It was very much appreciated!
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Gallery