Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Alphabet Soup ~K~

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: Alphabet Soup ~K~

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 07, 2012 10:51 pm

Haven't got a K to my name, and after seeing the beauties here I surely do wish I did have some.

I adore Sharon's garden...and Betty, that King Tut grass is superb! (plus your garden, too...of course!)
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Clyde212 » Mar 07, 2012 11:02 pm

earwig wrote:A few years ago I was admiring Kniphofia in a magazine and the lady next to me said "so gaudy" and went on to say that she would never grow anything that tasteless in her garden! I didn't mentioned to her that I had just bought some seeds and now I have a very nice patch of various gaudy tasteless colours that I like very much. Clara, nice to see you also have it.
[/attachment]

This is a major pet peeve of mine....just 'cause you don't like something for your garden, you can still appreciate it in mine. If all gardens were the same, what fun would that be!!

Clyde
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

Postby Big Smile » Mar 07, 2012 11:42 pm

Clyde212 wrote:
earwig wrote:A few years ago I was admiring Kniphofia in a magazine and the lady next to me said "so gaudy" and went on to say that she would never grow anything that tasteless in her garden! I didn't mentioned to her that I had just bought some seeds and now I have a very nice patch of various gaudy tasteless colours that I like very much. Clara, nice to see you also have it.
[/attachment]

Betty , I have Beauty Bush but didn't know its called "Kolwitzia'" not sure how to pronounce that lol. Your "gaudy tasteless ' Kniphofia are stunning!! How could anybody not like them . I have several varieties and love them!! I also have "King Tut" but no pic. I bring mine in for the winter.
Clara

This is a major pet peeve of mine....just 'cause you don't like something for your garden, you can still appreciate it in mine. If all gardens were the same, what fun would that be!!

Clyde
Big Smile

Postby Katherine » Mar 08, 2012 1:38 am

Wow, the Kniphofia, Kalmia and other Ks are very beautiful. As usual, Sharons garden looks very sumptuous and inviting. Love the King Tut grass as well....it looks very stately in that urn, and with the snow as well.

I searched high and low for my Kerria, to no avail. So I have only one little K, BB King Hyacynth. Note to self, grab a K or two this year! (suppose I could cheat and post Kats Garden...ha ha.)
Attachments
king-BB-Hyacynth_MG_6173.jpg
Katherine

Postby MareE » Mar 08, 2012 9:05 am

LAFF! If that's what you call it for a stint of Souping, then "Kat's Garden" is indeed a legitimate "K", Kat! Besides, s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g a tad is good mental aerobics, don'tcha know by now.;o}

Somewhere I have a pic of my neighbour's — what my Gran miscalled "Kiss Me Over the Gate, Kate" — which I'll add here if it takes till X-Y-Z!!! Pretty sure I forgot to take shot of 2011 Knautia. :cry:

KALE 1-1-11.jpg
Flowering in the icy rain KALE first day of January 2011.

KALE 5-20-11.jpg
KALE in late May that was eventually potted up for perennial bed gap-filling. Later this Spring, purty Kale seedheads can be used in floral arrangements. 8) Ever since Inge sent me seed 8-9 years ago, Red Russian KALE has overwintered very well in both Plotlands and Homestead gardens. Makes for attractive groundcover and perks up broth of vegetable Soup excellently. ;o}

[Edited faulty caption placement.]
Last edited by MareE on Mar 08, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby earwig » Mar 08, 2012 9:32 am

Clyde212 wrote:This is a major pet peeve of mine....just 'cause you don't like something for your garden, you can still appreciate it in mine. If all gardens were the same, what fun would that be!!

Exactly!!! I am used to raised eyebrows as I garden for the 4 B's (birds, butterflies, bees, and Betty) so I do not use any kind of pesticides or herbicides in my garden. I have had a number of Garden Clubs on tour here and although the majority are very complimentary, there are always a few that I can see are itching to tidy up my garden.
Clara, each fall I have hard decisions to make as I keep increasing my tender succulents plus I have a few other things I like to winter over in a very small space.
King Tut is relatively inexpensive and so quick growing I decided not to keep it.
There are a lot more than Kolwitzia that I have problems pronouncing.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Smitty » Mar 08, 2012 11:59 am

that's what I love about gardens.........NO two are the same! :-D

and I found a K.......keikei

dendrobium orchid.JPG
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Abby44 » Mar 08, 2012 12:31 pm

This is the onlt thing resembling a K but I got lots of good ideas from your posts!!
Thanks
Peony Karl Rosenfield.jpg
Karl Rosenfield Peony
Abby44

Postby Heidi S » Mar 08, 2012 1:12 pm

I only have one 'K' but it is a favourite for sure. I've been risking the Zones to try a Korean maple since I cannot grow Japanese types. I grew up in Vancouver and have always loved the various forms of Japanese maples. Moving north meant learning a new way of gardening and not taking Zones for granted. It has been a bit of an expensive learning curve for sure.

Yes, I really hope it eventually screen out that ugly house in the background!

IMG_7769.jpg
My Zone 4 Korean maple. So far, so good! It is the closest thing I found to a Japanese Maple and I really love it.

IMG_7381.jpg
Spring leaves on Korean maple
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Eeyore » Mar 08, 2012 1:26 pm

Wow! Love that Korean Maple and the King Tut Grass. I also like Kniphofia no matter how gaudy someone else thinks it is. After all I even like red and purple together!

My Kontribution to the soup is Kat's Kolumbines. Thanks for the seed Kat! I love these little pink bonnets.

Kat's_Columbine.jpg

and Kentucky Lily, missing one petal.

Kentucky.JPG
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Previous

Return to Garden Gallery