Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

ALPHABET SOUP.....M

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: ALPHABET SOUP.....M

Postby Northpine » Mar 13, 2012 11:27 am

Mmmm Mmmm Good!

My first M is mezoo trailing red in the front of the container. I'm happy to say it is alive and growing thanks to Betty's instructions.
100_3512.JPG
mezoo trailing red

My martagon is getting better every year. I'm trying to figure out where I can plant another one.
100_3527.JPG
Martagon lily

One of my monkshoods
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby earwig » Mar 13, 2012 11:46 am

Smitty wrote:Betty...do you know name of that pink masterwart...besides 'stunning'?

My records say 'Rose Symphony' Masterwort and I got it in 2001. The other is Astrantia major 'Star of Heaven'. The flowers are very long lasting, both outside and in bouquets.
Thanks Clara, I do find Meadow-rue (except for the Thalictrum aquilegiifolium 'Thundercloud') to have a short life span so I am hoping this flavum glaucum will also be long living as they are very much alike.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby reenb159 » Mar 13, 2012 11:59 am

Marvelous M's......
Attachments
Musk Mallow.JPG
Musk Mallow.JPG (49.91 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
Morning Glory.JPG
Morning Glory.JPG (29.47 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
Maltese Cross.JPG
Maltese Cross.JPG (43.31 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
reenb159

Postby orchidguy » Mar 13, 2012 12:06 pm

A few M's for the soup
mag1.jpg
Chose this magnolia (Barbara Anne X ??) because it had more than 280 blooms on it this spring.
Marsh Marigolds.JPG
These marsh marigold's are at the bottom of the waterfall in one of the ponds.
Marsh Marigolds.JPG (102.24 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
malus.jpg
This is a NoId weeping malus.
orchidguy

Postby Katherine » Mar 13, 2012 12:25 pm

Wow, I go off to bed and when I get up, I cant keep up with the ingredients! Fantastic soup turnout and its not even 9 30 Am yet!

First HA HA HA... my bad. Thanks Molly :oops: I have gotten into the bad habit of using the same common name for the two species of Lychnis, of course that IS coronaria, and you know what? I have made this mistake in the soup before, been corrected and I still do it. I hereby sentence myself to a trip to the garden centre to get a REAL maltese cross.

Laura, your mulch spot...I bet that is really good soil under there now, so whacha done with it? Also always admired your beautiful morning glory vines.

Sharon, amazing Magnolia collection. Love the yellow one. By the way Menziesia ferruginea is a native subalpine plant, no where near as beautiful as yours, but its very hardy to minus minus you dont even want to THINK how cold. So maybe being in the same genera and all??? It might do in Lyns garden.

Smitty, yours and Maries Martagon....love it. MUST try and grow it. Lyn sent me seed for hers several years ago, and I muffed it unfortunately. Love your Magic Star from Neng.

Betty every time I see your garden photos I fall in love. You have the most stunning layout and collection. Love the Thalictrum. T. occidentale is a native here, in my garden, and its very persistant but always very small, so I am envious of this very large garden variety...another must have. Also love your white monkshood. Mmmm.

Clara, Mable Marie is very pretty. And I love your Monarda display with the Rudies there.

Marie, ok, I look at this plant and I know it, but whats its latin name do you know? Love the name Mezoo.

Reen, I have that same musk mallow and it has to be 25 years old now, I keep dividing it and moving it around, and it is such a lovely plant. Love your REAL MALTESE CROSS.... ha ha. It would help if Lychnis started with an M....

Dan, every time I see your photos of your pond, and you say ONE of your ponds, I melt. You have the most beautiful ponds... and they are HUGE. Love your magnolia also. Thats stellata right? Sharon proves you cant have too many.

Well done soupers. Keep it up!
Katherine

Postby Northpine » Mar 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Katherine wrote:Wow, I go off to bed and when I get up, I cant keep up with the ingredients! Fantastic soup turnout and its not even 9 30 Am yet!

Smitty, yours and Maries Martagon....love it. MUST try and grow it. Lyn sent me seed for hers several years ago, and I muffed it unfortunately.

Marie, ok, I look at this plant and I know it, but whats its latin name do you know? Love the name Mezoo.

Katherine, I agree with all your comments on the Ms, but am replying to just a few.
Firstly I can totally identify with not being able to keep up with the ingredients! With my host letter, I was overwhelmed!
Anyway I think the martagons are one of those plants that are just so much better in person than in pictures. I didn't even know I wanted one, but now I love it. They are expensive, but long lived apparently. I agree, you must get one.
Mezoo is Dorotheanthus. Someone else on this forum has it also. It has the cutest little red flowers.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Laura » Mar 13, 2012 12:53 pm

Katherine wrote:Laura, your mulch spot...I bet that is really good soil under there now, so whacha done with it?

Well Kat ... thanks for asking.This was only done late last fall so we will see what we end up with after the snow melts.Hubby wants to put grass ... (insert frowning smiley) ... I do not.We will see ... (insert thinking smiley) ... lol
Laura

Postby Katherine » Mar 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Thank you Marie. Dorotheanthus? Beautiful name, and a MUST HAVE! thanks for the kind words. And yes to Martagon.

Laura, grass? Well tell Hubs I said having had a big maple there for so long enriches the soil so much that a small flowering tree and a pretty little oval shaped garden with taller perennials in the back and smaller pretty little plants around, maybe a wishing well or a bird bath would simply HAVE to trump grass. I am sure he'll be thrilled to hear from me! :lol:

kat
Katherine

Postby Eeyore » Mar 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Kat, good news for you, I will be starting another batch of Martagon seeds soon and once they have formed teeny bulbs I will send you some. The ones I started several years ago showed up a full whorl of leaves last year so perhaps I'll have a flower this year! :shock:
They are slow growing and don't need to be divided very often, in fact they will sulk for a year when you do divide them. Aparently they are also quite particular about location and should not be in full sun.
Thanks for the news about the Menziesia. I'm gonna have to look that up.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Clyde212 » Mar 13, 2012 2:04 pm

Magnolia, Magic Stars and our namesake the "Marsh Marigold". Beauties all three...

Mary Brown.jpg
This is a Non-registered Daylily but it has to be one of my favourite. The nurseries sell it and it is called "Mary Brown"
Mystery Day Dahlia.jpg
Mystery Day Dahlia
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Gallery