Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

ALPHABET SOUP.....M

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: ALPHABET SOUP.....M

Postby Smitty » Mar 13, 2012 2:24 pm

I have to agree the M's are truly Magnificent!!!!

and I have to have that Mary Brown.

thanks ladies for the compliments..I love that Magic Star too and yes Clara it is from T&T seeds..we will soon see if it survived the winter.
Thanks Betty for id...added to list..I discovered this plant a few years back from the Soup and have yet to find one I didn't like........oh that goes for all flowers here too..I guess :shock:
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Sharon Bryson » Mar 13, 2012 3:23 pm

I didn't even know I wanted one, but now I love it. They are expensive, but long lived apparently.

Marie(& others).....The Martagons are really quite easy from seed. It does take about three years (optimally) to flower, but the little plants are nice.
We have seeds here if you would like to try some. We only have mixed seed, so no specific white....there might be some grow from the mix however.
http://www.willowgarden.net/page2/2011_SavedSeeds.html

lilyMartagon_holland_mid6363.jpg

Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Puff10 » Mar 14, 2012 7:36 am

Medley of annuals:except for hosta (Golden Tiara) which I keep using in all my containers, all the others are annuals.
Attachments
IMG_1088.JPG
Puff10

Postby Katherine » Mar 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Love your Medley, Puff. I really like collections like that in pots on my deck, like putting them together too.

Sharon your seeds are always fantastic! I have been meaning to tell you that I started all the most recent Azaleas and Rhodos, they went into pots, ( a few were savaged by a squirrel), but the rest are currently under snow in sunken pots, and the ones that are now sticking out a bit look good. AND the older shrubs are now up to my waist. I have a very nice Sharon and Bill collection in my garden now. Thank you so much.

One of the things I love about this forum is the incredible exchange of plants and ideas about plants that endure in our gardens over time.

Lyn, thank you, thats very generous. I have HUGE new beds now, waiting for all kinds of things. I can hardly wait for this spring!

Kat
Katherine

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Puff...love your container...I must get better at containers.

Last year was my first experience with Mildewed Phlox...even it has a kind of beauty...patterns.

And my Monkshood which has too much competition.
mildewed Phlox has a kind of beauty too.jpg
mildewed Phlox has a kind of beauty too.jpg

(let's see what kind of mess I've made out of this post, too.)
Attachments
Monkshood.jpg
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 14, 2012 3:08 pm

sorry for the double mildew post...I did NOT do it!!!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Heidi S » Mar 14, 2012 3:51 pm

Mmmm! good soup!

IMG_7395.jpg
Muscari bloom with a little friend.

IMG_7628.jpg
Maiden Pinks on the edge of a border.

IMG_7773.jpg
'Maigold' rambler rose - slow to start each year, but lovely blooms in August.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Katherine » Mar 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Wow, that is SPECTACULAR powdery mildew, Liz. Holy cow. I bet you could not reproduce that if you were signed up for a mycology class. But I like your monkshood much better, ackshually.

Heidi, of Prince George, beautiful rose, thats an interesting color! Love those pinks too. Such a great group. Cant wait for the grapes myself here, snow snow please go.

Kat
Katherine

Postby Heidi S » Mar 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Kelly_m,

Maigold is the only yellow-toned rose I have managed not to kill. She takes a beating in the winter, and I have to cut her down almost to the ground, but she has been coming back for 5 years now. As you can see from the summary I have excerpted below, she is rated Zone 5/6, but I am doing ok with her in Zone 3 (despite the severe winter damage on the canes). I have an own root version and that may be the saving grace for her up here. For me she blooms in August on new wood since I lose the old wood. This may also be a case of just where was she tested - perhaps not into Zone3-4-5? Needless to say, she averages about-4-5 ft here, on a trellis, on the south side of our large shed, in a raised bed.

I have successfully killed 2 Morden 'Sunrise' though! If I ever move, this one is definitely coming with me!

Details:

Rosa pimpinellifolia 'Maigold' bred by Kordes in 1930?

Climber, Hybrid Spinosissima, Large-Flowered Climber, Shrub.
Deep yellow. Strong, linseed oil fragrance. 14 to 30 petals. Average diameter 4". Medium to large, semi-double to double bloom form. Once-blooming spring or summer.
Bushy, climbing. Glossy foliage.
Height of 8' 2" to 16' 5" (250 to 500 cm). Width of up to 8' (up to 245 cm).
USDA zone 5/6 through 9. Disease susceptibility: very disease resistant. Prune after flowering is finished. This rose blooms on old wood.

Parents: Poulsen's Pink × Fruhlingstag
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Eeyore » Mar 14, 2012 7:51 pm

My only M to offer.

Miss_Lucy.JPG
Miss Lucy
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Gallery