Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

ALPHABET SOUP - X Y Z -

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: ALPHABET SOUP - X Y Z -

Postby Heidi S » Apr 09, 2012 10:44 pm

Well, I can do Y and Z, but no X in my photo library that I can find. I'm sad, the end of Alphabet Soup... aaah!

IMG_7620.jpg
Yummy Yellow Petunias in container

IMG_7792.jpg
Zinnia

IMG_7519.jpg

IMG_7486.jpg
Yellow Cedar

IMG_7512.jpg
Noid Yellow Daylily in back yard
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Eeyore » Apr 09, 2012 11:01 pm

My one and only Y for the soup. It has certainly been a lovely pot this year.

Yarrow.JPG
Yarrow
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Katherine » Apr 10, 2012 1:27 pm

I love the SOUP. There is nothing like it. Its hard to believe this is the end, but I really must get out there and get the weeds out!!

Some beautiful Ys and Zs, love the Zinnia, Yarrows and Yellow everything and the ZigZag fence. And yes Liz, I agree that Yucca is gorgeous even if it doesnt flower.

Here are my XYZ collection....I have two for each letter, hope that is not breaking any rules.

Xanthoria-polycarpa_MG_5039.jpg
Xanthoria polycarpa... A lichen on my trees here.

Xerophyllum-tenax.jpg
Xerophyllum tenax from up the hill here

Yarrow gold.jpg
Yarrow the gold one. Is it Coronaria, cant remember

yellow-loosestrife_MG_0024.jpg
Yellow loosestrife...invasive but I love it.

Zinnia.jpg
An orange zinnia (from McFaydens...lol!)

Zinnia-red.jpg
My red zinnia...from seed

Happy April everyone.

Kat
Katherine

Postby Northpine » Apr 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Wow Katherine, what an unusual plant! I had to google Xerophyllum tenax. I bet it makes quite a statement on the hill.
Thanks to everyone who posted zinnias. I need to remember to plant some.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby savona » Apr 10, 2012 2:18 pm

[bIt seems like we went through the pot of alphabet soup very quickly. A person needs to go back and help themselves to another serving or 2...yum][/b]
Attachments
yellow NOID daylily.JPG
yellow noid daylily
yellow NOID daylily.JPG (50.78 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
yarrow.JPG
yarrow
yarrow.JPG (47.63 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
zinnia - profusion cherry.JPG
zinnia- profusion cherry
zinnia - profusion cherry.JPG (95.05 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
savona

Postby Lizcordysmum » Apr 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Migoodness, you all have been very busy!

Smitty, yours is a very attractive yellow NOID Lily, and you have very pretty yellow tulips (I didn't plant yellow tulips and they do make a nice eye catcher. I like the Angel's Breath too...it's new to me.

Orchidguy...I have never seen a yellow Magnolia before, they really do stand out...(I am looking at a vivid pink, as I type...not mine.) I am wondering if your Yucca is really tall...perhaps you and Kelly should be talking Yucca!
I would like to know if the Zgopetalum orchid is a houseplant, or an outdoor/greenhouse planting...it reminds me of Toad Lilies/the colouring...is a BEAUT.

Earwig: Is the red and yellow Yarrow the variety "Paprika'? Have tried it and no luck...only a plain yellow survives for me.
Love your display of Zebra grass...AND, your Zinnias too.

We are going to have to work on our Xs, aren't we?
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lizcordysmum » Apr 10, 2012 2:38 pm

And good morning again!

Hi Savona...that's really attractive, the deep yellow lily and the dark purple...campanula? (hope I got that one right!)

Laura: Yellow toms...sure hope your husband adjusts...I find these delicious myself! And I agree with finding good things to nibble in the garden, whilst going walkabout. Glad to see the rara avis Zinnia hummer too...a sight for sore eyes!

Kelly...good luck with the Yucca flower...talk to Orchidguy, maybe?

Heidi: cheer up, SUMMER is really coming and one of these days it will be time for the Soup to begin all over again. I think it is safe to say ou like yellow in the garden...you have real lovelies there...including that very healthy-looking yellow Cedar.

Eeyore...your Yarrow did you proud!

Katherine...I am having a hard time here!
The deep orange Zinnias
The yellow Loosestrife...in that setting...simply WOW!
The Xerophyllum tenax - really different and SO striking.

Great colours, contrasts, all of it.
IS the lichen taking over?
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Katherine » Apr 10, 2012 3:00 pm

Ha ha, yes, Liz, re Xanthoria but its only about 2 mm high. It covers the black cottonwood tree bark down by the river, and YES it is on the north side. (Anticipating a question here).

Thanks also Northpine and Liz re the Xerophyllum tenax, a native lily. Lyn will remember that I post this plant every year, pretty much, but its a new photo every year. It grows in the lower subalpine and would be good in a zone 3. It has stunning display of Carex like leaves, inrolled, and it gets very large, 4 feet tall. In clumps it would be spectacular but it needs cold winters and a lot of snow. I have never seen it in the valley bottoms here only up where the summers are short sharp and a bit cool with a hot August. Now that I am semi retired I can make a project of trying to get some seed for this from stands that I know and see if I can get it to start. Then I will have to send it to someone who wants to try and grow it on at Zone 4, 3, 2. Savona? Anyone want to try this lovely native so you can have an X for soup? Ha ha!

Kat, its cold out in Castlegar! Supposed to be 21 and its 7 and blowing! Maybe cold enough for a Xerophyllum!
Katherine

Postby orchidguy » Apr 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Liz
Lizcordysmum wrote: I am wondering if your Yucca is really tall.

The yucca's in bloom stand around 5-6'. but the variegated one is much shorter.
The tropical yucca's in the greenhouses are more than 10' high
Lizcordysmum wrote:I would like to know if the Zgopetalum orchid is a houseplant,

These make very easy to care for houseplants, but like it a bit cooler to develop buds. This pic was taken in the greenhouse, and is grown both hanging and in pots on the benches amongst the christmas cacti. They do come in a wide variety of colours, and are bred from a family of my favorite orchids....Miltonia
I usually don't take pics of the greenhouse plants, as I have left my camera in there a few times, and other times just never think of taking pics in the first place
orchidguy

Postby Lizcordysmum » Apr 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Thank you very much, Dan...appreciate you taking the time for my questions!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Gallery