Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Visual Intrigue daylily

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: Visual Intrigue daylily

Postby Lizcordysmum » Apr 16, 2012 1:54 pm

Interjecting here...glad to see you this morning Closet Canuck...you did not get blown away, or uprooted. Whew!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby A Closet Canuck » Apr 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Ha, ha, Lizzie - I dodged that bullet! Our community was along the southeast edge of that series of storms - two inches of rain but no hail and no tornado. It was a very powerful system. If we had been struck I estimate I would have returned to ground on the eastern shore of Lake Superior. Just a "Howdy Visit", ya know! LOL
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby savona » Apr 17, 2012 2:28 am

[bIt is good you missed the worse part of that weather system Trish. It seems the weather is bigger and comes earlier now and even hurricane season is almost year around.
The second bloom opened on the Visual intrigue day lily today and I am very happy with it..Jean[/b]
Attachments
Visual Intrigue 2nd bloom.JPG
Visual Intrigue
Visual Intrigue 2nd bloom.JPG (44.71 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
savona

Postby Eeyore » Apr 17, 2012 9:50 am

shocked-2.gif
shocked-2.gif (6 KiB) Viewed 1242 times

Amazing!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lizcordysmum » Apr 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Stay blessed, Closet Canuck, please.

And Savona...WOW WOW WOW (your daylily is driving me barking mad! Lucky you!)
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby A Closet Canuck » Apr 26, 2012 6:24 pm

It's DEFINITELY a keeper, Jean.

Yes, the weather is harsher, sooner, and more frequent than in the past. My country is full of naysayers who don't believe in climate change. Ya can't solve the problem with that attitude. Grrr!

This year my Virginia bluebells bloomed in March, roses bloomed two weeks ago and peony buds are about to open - all 4-5 weeks early. I don't know what I'm going to do between now and the end of July; everything has already come out. LOL

A Closet Canuck

Postby Lizcordysmum » Apr 27, 2012 1:31 pm

It IS a danged strange year for weather, all right.

My peonies are still dark red, about a foot plus, high. No bluebells blooming yet. All other spring flowers out and lovely.

and it is 8 C/46 F...and a chill wind blowing AGAIN. (I know it isn't snow, and I am sorry for those who are getting snow...or floods, or forest/wild fires.)

Trish, absolutely no sign of even a leaf bud, on the Wisteria...think I killed it last year with the comfrey tea...or maybe the ants that live way down in the soil in that area got it? I have no other ideas.

Enjoy those flowers!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Oh, Lizzy! So sorry to hear about the wisteria. It sounds like a plant that would have benefited from benign neglect. LOL Perhaps it will surprise you and send up some new growth. It would be a shame to have to start over with a new plant - it could be YEARS before you would see a decent display of blooms.

A Closet Canuck

Postby Heidi S » May 06, 2012 10:06 am

Savona, are you located in Savona? If yes, I would have though you were in a warmer Zone than 2.

Anyway, I like this daylily's looks, and I happened to notice yesterday while working in HD that we still have that daylily bulb in stock at our store, so maybe, just maybe I will have to look for it after my shift ends.

I am sure I can find room for another daylily at my house too....
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 06, 2012 6:08 pm

Trish...still peering at the Wisteria in high hopes...does not look good, there is lichen/moss in various nooks and crannies...I dunno.

BUT, if I lose it, there are three clemmies I could get to grow up the trunk and branches...one to bloom in early spring, one for summer, and one for autumn. IF I found the ones I wanted.

and yes, benign neglect...had the most gorgeous one ever 30 years ago...dug a hole in horrible FILL, stuck 'er in...got watered when it rained, and each spring I would give it a pail full of 20-20-20 (mixed with water, of course!)

It grew like you wouldn't believe. We (I use the term "we" loosely) built a kind of arbour, from garage 12 feet away to the house, 4 long boards across the top...and it climbed, it spread, it drooped 1000s of glorious sprays of purple wisteria..the bees, the SCENT, the sight...pure magic.

it never got cut back...we were there 14 years. AND, it bloomed the first year and every one thereafter, just like this one did until the Black Thumb struck it.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Gallery